Will I have access to all later versions of a Mac App Store app?

Reaction score
A silly question. I'm wondering whether I will have access to all later versions of an app, say Pages, if I purchased it from Mac App Store (of course I don't mean the OS itself). Is all later versions free, or should I pay for a MAJOR update, like in Microsoft Office?

C

chas_m

So far it would appear that the way the Mac App Store handles "paid major upgrades" is to let the developer put the product out again under a different name (ie, Pixelmator 2) and set a (modest) price for it (no "upgrade" pricing for owners of the previous version).

So, for example, Lion was $30 and Mountain Lion was $20. For everybody. Owners of Lion didn't get a discount off compared to people who jumped from SL to ML.

Overall, I like this strategy, since it appears to keep prices low. I would expect that WHEN Pages gets a new version, it will be called Pages '13 and be sold once again for $15. Seems like a super reasonable price to me for what you get.

As has been the policy since before the MAS, minor updates are free.

MS Office (assuming it continues to be sold as it has traditionally, probably a bad assumption) gets updated every three years or so and you buy it at "full" price or the upgraded price ($80 or so for the upgrade, $120 for the new).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with chas_m. Pages is a good buy at its current price and any upgrade in version will likewise be the same. MS Office as he stated (at least for the Mac version) will likely be sold at full price. The Windows version is sold as an upgrade and slightly discounted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.