Trying to download, just starts playing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to download a voice recording. When I go to "click here to begin download process" I just get a player, and the recording starts to play rather than download. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm trying to download a voice recording. When I go to "click here to begin download process" I just get a player, and the recording starts to play rather than download. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Difficult to say. Depending on how it's supposed to be available, it may only be allowed to stream but not be saved. We'd need a link to it, if it's not private that is, to take a look at it and see what your options are.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for answering. It's from a private community, so that's not possible. In the past when this has happened I've just played around with my command, option and control buttons and eventually I strike the right combination that gets me to the download box. Not working this time (and as you can probably guess, I'm not terribly techie). Thanks anyway!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Usually you right click on things and ask it to Save As in a folder of your choosing. But most new browsers still try to be "helpful" by opening up a player when when you ask it to save the file..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Browsers are designed to play media since this is what most people want (apparently). As Raz0rEdge noted, right click the link and select the save option (might be called "save as", "save target" or something along those lines).

Key combinations differ from browser to browser. In Chrome, option clicking will save the target (not control, which acts as a right click modifier or command, which will open the link in a new tab). I imagine that the key combinations are similar elsewhere.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you. Still confused. My browser is firefox. Care to walk me through this? When I "right click" (that means control + click, correct?) I get these options:

Open link in new tab
Open link in new window
Bookmark this link
Save link as...
Send link as...
Copy link location
Inspect element

If I choose "Save link as..." it saves it as "fileinfo.cfm" which I then can't open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If the audio file "can" be saved, then I think the best way to go about this is use the FlashGot add-on for Firefox. Install that, then just load up the page as normal and start playing the recording. While it is playing from the beginning (don't fast forward or skip around), right-click (or CTRL-click... same thing) elsewhere in the page and you should see an option to "FlashGot media". Select that and any media files that can be downloaded and saved will be. You can then go through anything it saved to find the recording you want.

Just to reiterate... this will only work if the file CAN be saved. If it's strictly a streaming file that is protected, this won't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.