Time Capsule backing up with TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
How can I make it so Time Machine does not back up every hour? It slows my interent way down to a crawl. Then when I stop the backup it doesn't restore my internet speed. Then when I reboot it hangs and I have to force shut down with the power button in order for it to reboot. I just turned time machine off because of it.

I don't want it to backup more than once a day. I can't change that in the time machine settings. Is there an app that can give more options for time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi xdunlap,

Do you have your external HD connected to your MBP or your Router ?

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pendlewitch, it's a Time Capsule, it's wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
pendlewitch, it's a Time Capsule, it's wireless.

Hello again, sorry I've been out. TM is supposed to back up every hour, and then weekly and then monthly ad infinitum because that is the whole point. In other words hardly anything gets missed and you can go back in time and restore files, folders and whole heaps of stuff if need be. My advice would be to trust TM and not rely on random manual back ups which could be hours or days old.

You might first want to unplug and plug back in your TC, or perform a factory reset by pressing in the reset button with a ballpoint and holding for 5 seconds. See page 25 Troubleshooting in the manual. See what happens then and if it's no different then perhaps you might have choked up bandwidth or something...any other devices using the wireless?

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well mom was using wifi and had no problems while I was having problems but she's on the 2.4ghz network i set up since her computer uses wireless G. We had netflix running on our wii which runs on the 2.4ghz network as well. I'm the only one who uses the 5ghz network since my computer runs wireless N.

So I'm not sure it was a bandwidth issue. I never had problems with wireless on my windows laptop when we are surfing the web and running netflix. But I never had a way to back up the hard drive in it since I hadn't yet bought the Time Capsule. It just seems odd that my computer would be so slow in responding to wireless.

And I wonder why my computer hung when I rebooted. It didnt want to shut down and reboot. So I had to force it to do so. When I brought it back up everything seemed fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.