Wifi super slow, MAS nearly unresponsive, help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Hi guys. I'm less than a week into owning my first Mac (a MBP). I can't figure out how to fix this issue I'm having. Internet is very slow, I set up my Time Capsule to use 2 bands, one for G and one for N. I'm the only one using the 5ghz band since our other computers all use G, the 2.4ghz band.

I just asked mom if her internet was slow, she said no. So I'm not sure what's up.

I bought the Civilization IV game from teh MAS and it practically refuses to download. I've only got 25mb downloaded from a 1.76gb file. And it's been 15 or more minutes. It says it will take---well it wont tell me now but it still says calculating...

I rebooted my computer and it hung there prior to reboot so I waited and waited and then gave up and forced the computer to shut down via pressing the power button down for about 4 seconds. It rebooted fine, it's usual 5 secons to go to the login screen. Something around 5 seconds (i have an ssd drive).

I don't know how to use Onyx but I have it. Could it be a permissions problem? a PRAM problem? audio works fine though. I'm just totally confused as to why this happened.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I repaired permissions, winging it with Onyx. Whatever I did fixed the problem. :) Internet is fast again. Ok good I just checked, MAS is working fine now. Woohoo! I'm glad I downloaded Onyx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Download an app called iBoostup from the app store it helps my mac sometimes when it is acting up. I am happy to hear you got it working.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download an app called iBoostup from the app store it helps my mac sometimes when it is acting up. I am happy to hear you got it working.

Do you recommend iboostup over onyx? I used onyx and it worked fine. It seems since the update (today and yesterday) people are complaining that it wont run (the free version). I think I'll stick to Onyx since it worked before, but thank you for recommending an app for me :)

edit: Actually wow my dates are off in my brain -- those reviews were posted Aug 22 and 23 this year.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you recommend iboostup over onyx? I used onyx and it worked fine. It seems since the update (today and yesterday) people are complaining that it wont run (the free version). I think I'll stick to Onyx since it worked before, but thank you for recommending an app for me :)

edit: Actually wow my dates are off in my brain -- those reviews were posted Aug 22 and 23 this year.

iBoostUp is one of many cache cleaner type apps that does the same sort of thing that Onyx does, but is crippled in the free version. I wouldn't worry about it. Onyx is the granddaddy of Mac maintenance apps and isn't lacking in comparison to the pay-for apps that do the same thing.

Just keep in mind that there is little need to run the maintenance routines more often than once or twice a year. The caches are there for a reason, and deleting them constantly can actually slow your machine down.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBoostUp is one of many cache cleaner type apps that does the same sort of thing that Onyx does, but is crippled in the free version. I wouldn't worry about it. Onyx is the granddaddy of Mac maintenance apps and isn't lacking in comparison to the pay-for apps that do the same thing.

Just keep in mind that there is little need to run the maintenance routines more often than once or twice a year. The caches are there for a reason, and deleting them constantly can actually slow your machine down.
Oh ok, I was wondering how often I should run it. But I figured if nothing was wrong then I don't need to worry about it. :) Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I love onyx I was just mentioning iboostup as well. I use both of them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as one tool works then why use another?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.