Making a BC Partition Smaller Than 20gb?

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I have been playing around with Installing Windows onto a Thunderbolt Drive, which I have done successfully with only a few minor issues that I am having a hard time overcoming! Yay me.

I tried to do it via Winclone and failed miserably. I will post my procedure at the bottom of this post.

My issue is two fold. First and foremost is there anyway to remove the windows partition from the internal drive and still have my TB bootcamp run? To date I have been unsuccessful. If I remove the internal partition the TB drive will not load.

Second, if there is no solution to the above issue how on earth can I make the internal partition smaller than 20gb? Boot Camp Assistant will not let me make it smaller at the outset (I have to say BCA is pretty limited in terms of control). According to Disk Utility the internal Partition is only using 17.8MB leaving me with at least 19GB of wasted space. Not a huge deal, but on a 250GB SSD nothing to sneeze at either.

I have downloaded IPartition in an attempt to resize the partions but for some reason it treats the internal drive as static, in that it will not let me adjust the size of anything.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

EDIT: I've tried using Winclone to shrink the drive as well but I get the error message:

There was an error expanding or shrinking your volume. Most Likely this is caused by a dirty filesystem or a file system that is not NTFS. Try rebooting into Windows to allow it to do a disk check. See the system log for more information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How I was successful Installing and Running Windoze on a TB Drive is as follows:

1. Plug in the TB Drive.
2. Restart Computer.
3. Run Bootcamp.
4. Choose Smallest Partition Size - 20GB (this is my current snag, more on that in a bit).
5. Hit 'Install.
6. Go thought the motions and when you get to the place where you chose where to install your windows BC chose your thunderbolt drive.

7.Restart.
8. Install the Boot Camp Utilities Disk from Windows Boot Camp Assistant and update all your drivers, etc.

9. Restart.

BOOM! You're done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Microsoft has engineered Windows 7 not to run on an external hard drive as an anti-piracy measure. 20GB is a very small partition however CampTune from Paragon seems to be the best option for changing partition sizes. It is not free but costs only about $20.00.

Never ever got Winclone to work yet.

OP
A
Reaction score
Microsoft has engineered Windows 7 not to run on an external hard drive as an anti-piracy measure.

Then they engineered poorly as I am in playing Guild Wars 2 on my external TB drive as I type =)

20GB is a very small partition however CampTune from Paragon seems to be the best option for changing partition sizes. It is not free but costs only about $20.00.

Never ever got Winclone to work yet.

Thanks, I will take a look at Camptune. . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.