Editing an image

Reaction score
Editing an avatar. Googled an image and saved as .jpg and displayed in 'preview'. I googled another image and wanted to put it inside of the first image, displayed in 'preview'. i.e. First image was of the hawaiian islands, second was a Dallas Cowboys' star, I just wanted to cut the star out of it's white background and shrink it to cover the island of Oahu. Hope that illustrates my goal! I haven't a clue how to do this. iMac user: Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thank you for being so handy!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moved your thread to the appropriate forum and gave it a title that might draw some that would know how to assist you.

'Schweb's Lounge" is the forum we go to to "get away" from technical questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Photoshop. Or Adobe Lightroom. Or Photoshop Essentials.

Reaction score
Preview that came on your Mac will do this just fine. If you have the star cut out of the background. If you need to take out a background on an image, you can use Preview's Instant Alpha feature to quickly and easily do this. The Instant Alpha tool is located in Preview's tool bar, under the Select menu. Then save as a gif or PNG file. Next drag both files to the dock and drop on Priview. Next select the Star and use "command a" to select all of it and then "command c" to copy it. Next click on the other picture to make it active and use "command v" to paste the star on it. Then you can use the handles around the Star to resize it and then move to place it where you want it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.