PDA

View Full Version : New members and their missing Macs' specs.

pendlewitch
08-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I was thinking that this is probably one of the most frustrating issues arising on the forum and if we could in some way make it a more prominent feature of the sign up process?

It seems to be hidden away in the user CP down at the bottom of the 'additional information' form and perhaps gets missed by the new signer.

At least the basics of the info easily copied and pasted from 'About this Mac' would do the trick at sign up, and save embarrassment for the newbies and frustration for the helpers?

mrplow
08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Now that's a cracking idea

pendlewitch
08-30-2012, 02:57 AM
Now that's a cracking idea

Why thank you mrplow;D

vansmith
08-30-2012, 10:52 AM
This is certainly an interesting suggestion but there are a few issues. First, many people don't have Macs when they join the forum either because they haven't purchased one yet or because they don't actually want one (since we cater to iOS users as well). Second, many users don't understand what specs are and generally, these are the people that don't include them.

You're concerned is definitely a valid one but I think a better solution might be more appropriate in trying to get people to post their specs. However, you raise an interesting point about making this a more visible option for new members.

Thanks for the input!

pendlewitch
08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
:DHi vansmith, I guess what I was trying to get to in a round about way is could we make it a more visible option?

vansmith
08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Haha, good question. It's certainly something we can look into.

pendlewitch
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Excellent vansmith. Thank you very much :)

TapitZac
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I am one of these new users and I'm stoked i caught this post in time. Where exactly can I input my specs in order to prevent the impending frustrations? Is it done automatically?
I'm assuming it'd be in profile settings if not?

any insight will help
-thanks

vansmith
08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Click the User CP link at the top > Your Profile > Edit Your Details > scroll to the bottom.

TapitZac
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Click the User CP link at the top > Your Profile > Edit Your Details > scroll to the bottom.

Awesome! thanks again!

Derek P
09-08-2012, 08:57 PM
It's good to be a part of Mac-Forums. I'm looking forward to belonging to the community and having the opportunity to be involved in the discussions.

As a newbie I'm glad I saw this thread and will be happy to add the Apple hardware I use to this forum!

Derek