Installing Windows On HDD in Optical Drive Bay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
Hey everyone. I am trying to install Windows 7 on to an HDD have in my Optical Drive Bay. I have tried this once before but what happens is I get to the step where you choose the install disk for Windows and I have no idea which on is my HDD Windows partition? I can do everything else I just need some help identifying my Windows partition on my HDD. Thanks!!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As an anti piracy measure Microsoft prevents Windows being installed on an external drive. Sounds like it recognizes the optical drive bay as external? If you are using BootCamp print and follow the guidelines. After selecting size you should get a window offering to format. Make sure you selevt the BootCamp partition.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As an anti piracy measure Microsoft prevents Windows being installed on an external drive. Sounds like it recognizes the optical drive bay as external? If you are using BootCamp print and follow the guidelines. After selecting size you should get a window offering to format. Make sure you selevt the BootCamp partition.

If I try to go install Windows through boot camp it wants me to partition my SSD (which is in the defauly Hard disk spot). I can't find a way through boot camp to partition my HDD instead of the SSD.

Thanks for you help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should leave your hard drive in its regular spot. The reason for this is because it's protected there by the "sudden motion detector" built into your Mac. Place the SSD in the optical bay. You can install OS X on the SSD and boot directly from it. Windows can then be installed on your regular hard drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should leave your hard drive in its regular spot. The reason for this is because it's protected there by the "sudden motion detector" built into your Mac. Place the SSD in the optical bay. You can install OS X on the SSD and boot directly from it. Windows can then be installed on your regular hard drive.

Hmm. Okay makes since. I will try that thanks for everyone's help!

Reaction score

Is it possible to partition the optical bay SSD and install Windows through Boot Camp on it as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.