Windows 8 iso to SD/USB HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hey there!

Recently I've been wanting to run the new Windows 8 Preview on my MacBook (unibody, 2008 model). I have the iso and I know I can run it through side-by-side software like VMWare and VirtualBox, but I want to be able to boot up from my computer to the software.

BootCamp was my first guess, but my Super Drive isn't working and I wanted to see if I could mount the iso to a USB/SD Card so that BootCamp could recognize it, or manualy install it on a separate partition.

I've tried countless ways, but I can't seem to get it and I would love some help. Please let me know how you think this could be done, thanks!

-FancyPantsMan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure you can get it to work that way. Your late 2008 MacBook does not have a built in SD reader and the optical drive is not working. You may be able to mount the iso from a large enough USB thumb drive, of that I'm not certain.

The best solution is to replace the optical drive in your MacBook. Also, you didn't mention which version of OS X you're running?

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can get it to work that way. Your late 2008 MacBook does not have a built in SD reader and the optical drive is not working. You may be able to mount the iso from a large enough USB thumb drive, of that I'm not certain.

The best solution is to replace the optical drive in your MacBook. Also, you didn't mention which version of OS X you're running?

Yes my mac has no SD Card reader, but it can read it if you just grab a $5 usb adapter to allow my mac to read.

How specifically would you're method of "mounting" it to the usb/sd be? I've tried many ways from using the terminal codes to put it on, copying and pasting the files, etc.

None of them seem to register in bootcamp or as a start up disk / cd in the bootmenu. Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
None of them seem to register in bootcamp or as a start up disk / cd in the bootmenu. Any other ideas?

Boot Camp is very fussy about how it installs Windows. I know that other folks have gotten it to work from a thumb drive; for example - MBA owners. However, the installation was not done from the iso but from a full copy of Windows including the installer.

Are you able to borrow a computer with a working optical drive and burn that iso to a DVD and then copy it to a large enough flash drive? Of buy an inexpensive external optical drive and burn it yourself.

OP
F
Reaction score
Boot Camp is very fussy about how it installs Windows. I know that other folks have gotten it to work from a thumb drive; for example - MBA owners. However, the installation was not done from the iso but from a full copy of Windows including the installer.

Are you able to borrow a computer with a working optical drive and burn that iso to a DVD and then copy it to a large enough flash drive? Of buy an inexpensive external optical drive and burn it yourself.

If thats the only way, I guess I could do that. Thanks for the help man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
the installation was not done from the iso but from a full copy of Windows including the installer
The ISOs contain an installer, they're full images of the install DVDs, how else would they be able to install Windows? ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understand. But the iso must first be burned which is what he couldn't do. He tried to install direct from the iso but couldn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.