Some questions regarding space and storage

Reaction score
Ihave run out of storage space on my MacBook pro.
I have a back up disk with 500 gig of space which I plug in every now and again.
When I do this, it sets off an automatic back up of my mac, through time machine.
However, I don't feel I can now delete my pictures from my MacBook pro because I'm guessing next time I back up using time machine, time machine will simply back up everything I have on my computer which will be none of my pictures because I have deleted them.
Is that right?
What I'm really looking to do is to back up all my pictures so I can get rid of them on the computer to make space. What is the best way to do that?
I am about to buy 500 gig more space. If i plug it in to my MacBook pro, how do I stop it from setting off time machine automatically so I can just use it to back up my pictures?
Also, what is the easiest way to back up those pictures? Is it simply to drag the pictures folder from iphoto onto the disk?
Any help on these questions gratefully received.

Reaction score
Time Machine keeps snapshot of your hard drive. So if you delete the images from it, the next backup wont include them, but the one before the deletion will, so you can get back to them that way. But it's not a satisfactory way of working.

The best option is to keep the pictures stored on an external hard drive. That's what I do. Now you have several options, you can simply drag and drop them onto your new hard drive. Not sure if iPhoto will still find them. Not a great user if iPhoto so can't help there. I use Lightroom where this isn't a problem.
Once you have you new external hard drive up and running you simply add you pictures to the external drive rather than the one on the MBP. Time machine should then ignore this external drive

Alternativly in Time Machine prefs you can specify the folder where you pictures are store to be excluded from backing up.

If you have a USB 3.0 port get a hard drive that supports this as it's a lot quicker than USB 2.0. A firewire drive would also be an option ( Provided you're not om a Retina MPB as it doesn't have a native Firewire port). But maybe more expensive

OP
B
Reaction score
Massively helpful chappers.
Thanks for taking the time.
Forgive me if I come back asking more stupid questions.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Forgive me if I come back asking more stupid questions.

A wise man told me once, that there never is a stupid question. Just stupid answers :)

Good luck

OP
B
Reaction score
OK well let's see if I can prove the wise man wrong!
I have bought an external hard drive.
And now I'm wondering the best way to save my pictures.
Should I simply drag the iphoto library icon into the external drive and copy everything.
I'm wondering, if I do this and get rid of the files from my MBP, will I have to upload every single file again just to grab one picture I might need?
Is it better to create a folder for each 'event' in iphoto and upload them to my external drive like that? That way I could access my files in a much more individual manner maybe, although it will be a hassle creating a new folder each time I upload photos.
If I drag the iphoto library icon onto my backup drive though, when I want to update the backup with a new event, how can I just add that new event? Is it possible just to drag the new event into the iphoto library icon on my backup drive?
Or do I have to replace the whole library every time I want to add new pictures?
I'd love to know what the most efficient thing to do is.
Any help gratefully received.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.