command line tools to switch default OS

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of univeristy teaching labs with boot camped imacs.

I would like to rig up some scripts where I can ssh into the machines and run a command line tool to change the default OS and then reboot.

I would think I could use ssh for the darwin side and powershell (or something) for the windows side.

I really just need to know if there are any tools that ship with boot camp (or possibly 3rd party) tools.

Or if someone knows exactly what the gui widgets to maybe I can recreate that somehow.

This is becoming a real time killer as I constantly get tickets to change all of the machines from one side to the other (plus it would be wesome for me doing updates and new software installs)

I have been looking into this cursorly over the past year and nothing has jumped out.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/wisdom!!

Eddie

OP
T
Reaction score
I found these just now. Going to try it!

sudo bless -mount "/Volumes/Windows HD" -legacy -setBoot -nextonly;shutdown -r now

c:\progra~1\Bootca~1\bootcamp.exe -StartupDisk "Mac OS"
Shutdown /r /t 0

OP
T
Reaction score
ok this works! (Bootcamp 3.2)
I had to figure out what the actual name of the windows volume (look in /Volumes) on the mac side, in my case it was BOOTCAMP and the -nextOnly can be omitted if you desire subsequent reboots into windows.

In the case of the windows command I just left off the StartupDisk and it will boot into the first OS X volume on the disk, this is fine for my setup. Also noticed that this command will persist across boots as is.

Hope this helps someone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.