iBook G4 + Airport + MiFi

Reaction score
I'm in UK, and have an Ibook G4 and access the internet through a USB broadband dongle on Vodafone PAYG. The performance of this has gradually deteriorated, so prior to changing network, I decided to buy a MIFI router so that I could place that near to my usually open window.

The MIFI router that I decided on was one of those, from China, that you plug your USB dongle into the top of. The device looks very much like a PC mouse. They're on eBay which is where I bought mine.

Anyway, it arrived this morning. Put the battery in, switched on. Then went to Mac to switch on Airport. Did so. Noticed that MIFI came up as available network , selected it.

I think(?) at this point I hadn't yet plugged the USB donhle into the MIFI router. Did so, then looked at the instruction leaflet. Mostly made up of minute screenprints and a very few words. Got out my Dad's old magnifying glass.

Nothing much seemed to be happening, except status light on MIFI flashed blue, which apparently means "... connecting to internet..". It's all supposed to be pretty much plug and play. Afer a few minutes, I remembered the stuff I'd written down from the sticker inside the unit when I inserted the battery. It mentioned an IP address of 192.168.100.1, and username and password each of 'admin'.

So I went into Firefox, and got that IP address up, and the first displayed page shows intenet status as .... ".. connecting.."

And so it stays. And if I try to get anything else up on Firefox, it's just the usual display that you get when you're not connected.

Help please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.