Demand For Low Cost, Quality Computer Speakers?

Reaction score
I have access to a CNC machine, and I came up with a pretty good design for a computer speaker that I think would look good sharing a desk with any Apple product. They would use high quality 3 inch full range drivers, be constructed out of good hardwoods, and incorporate a horn design to take advantage of acoustics to amplify sound. Right now, my estimate cost is $40.00 for a stereo set of two speakers. It will have gold plated connectors and quality cables. My question is would there be a demand for such speakers in this section of the computer market? Ask me questions, I'll post designs soon.

Reaction score
I personally think that would be sweet. You would definitely have to market to the right people though. Frankly, anybody that is looking into producing any sort of music is going to probably get a cheap pair of near-field type USB speakers with a flat frequency response, and pod casters might stick with a set of headphones.

Don't get me wrong, I could totally see people buying them (by how you explained them, I think they would look amazing) to sort of "compliment" their work space (offices, home offices, people that want better than built in speakers without breaking the bank) but that's it.

Don't take much of this to heart though, I am just speaking from what I can see happening without any sort of backing proof.

It sounds like a good idea though! Maybe if you really get into it you could eventually sell different styles, more like a passive set of 5 or 8 inch studio monitors? The hardwoods sound like a unreal idea! If you produced passive (or active) studio monitors that had a good frequency response I would totally get a pair for when I go places and want to bring my music with me!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I debated weighing in because I hesitate to throw cold water on creativity, but manufacturing and selling consumer products is HIGHLY competitive.
And, generally, of the three pertinent parameters, COST, QUALITY and SCHEDULE (in this case delivery time), it is only possible to excel at one.

To excel at both Cost and Quality would require either access to materials at prices your competitors cannot match, or Technology they do not possess.

If you lack these advantages it is unrealistic to expect to get the results you propose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I like the idea! However, the cabinet is going to make or break the sound quality. I'm sure you've done your homework on it but I'll whey in anyway.

The cabinet and how it's built is just as important as to what drivers you are using when talking about sound quality. The cabinet is what amplifies the sound and gives it tone..

First, different woods will sound different due to how they resonate. I believe oak is the best wood to use for sound purposes (double check this though) and luckily it looks beautiful too. Downside? It's expensive.

Second, please don't glue 6 faces of wood together and screw the speaker drivers in. That will sound horrible no matter what wood you use. Sound waves will be reflecting off of the inner walls inside the cabinet like crazy and will lead to the infamous "boxy" sound. Make sure the section housing the tweeters is somewhat isolated from the woofers inside which should lead to less of a "muddy" sound (better separation of low and high frequencies - also improves sound imaging). 90 degree corners are bad and almost always lead to what's called "standing waves". You can get around this by placing another piece of wood at 45 degrees at the corner. I know a lot of DIY'ers forego doing all of this because it's time consuming but it will really make a difference in the tone your speakers project. If after all of this you are still getting muddy sound, consider stuffing some acoustic foam inside the cabinets (careful with this though as if you use too much, it can deaden the overall sound. Also make sure you don't have any exposed wires inside).

Third, consider incorporating a bass reflex of some sort in the design. This is an opening in the front of the speaker (a lot of times it looks like a tube opening) that allows the low frequency sound waves inside the cabinet to escape. It gives the speaker a deeper end and it also will allow the speaker hold up better over time because the air pressure differentials inside will go way down (less stress on the wood). Bass reflexes should also be partially isolated inside.

How were you planning on amping them? That will be the next big thing and equally as tricky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Assuming they are the best sounding speaker ever and look better than a supermodel... what do they cost to make, and what would they sell for? What's the next idea after this product is wildly successful and everyone who is going to buy one has already bought one? How scalable is the production model? Other than appearance and materials, what do they do that no other speaker does and why con't someone else copy it? What is the cost of certification for the various electronics, environmental, etc... hurdles? What's the liability for a consumer electromagnetic device (fire, electrocution, screwing with pacemakers, etc...). What's the startup cost to manufacture them yourself or the minimum order to have someone else build them? What's the competition look like and assuming you just knock them in the dirt in quality, do they have the capacity to freeze you out of the market via exclusivity contracts or agreements with various other folks (such as distributors) in the industry? Besides selling from an online website, eBay and Groupon, how will you storefront them and advertise? I'm sure you've looked into all these things, but they are just some basic things to take into mind for a product launch. It's often the business side that makes or kills a product and not the quality or appeal of the product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.