Wifi doesn't stay connected

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of articles about this and none of them seem to fix my issue. I'm hoping that describing my specific situation may help someone point me in the right direction.

I have an iMac (my wife's, I know little about Macs) about 3 years old, 24" I think, all in one deal, you get the idea. We have upgraded each time a new species of predatory cat operating system has become available.

With the most recent upgrade to Mountain Lion we now have trouble with the wifi disconnecting each time we switch users, the computer goes to sleep automatically/screensaver, and on power-up. If you click the wifi icon manually our router immediately shows up, click on it, and you get connected within a few seconds. But it's a major pain in the ***.

First, it's a stationary "desktop" computer that's not going anywhere like a laptop might, so if I can force this thing to ignore every wireless network but my own (I thought I did that but it seems to find the neighbor's every time) and automatically connect to it every time I would be (read: my wife would be) the happiest most-recent-predatory-cat-user in the world.

I have seen the articles about creating a home network profile and all of that and none of those seem to help.

Any advice? Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
HI,
One thing that you can try is go Sys Prefs>Network>Wi-Fi>Advanced and drag you preferred network to the top of the pane. The wi-fi disconnect glitch was supposed to have been fixed BTW.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, I have actually removed all networks except the one I want to use, so there's no reordering to do. I see what you mean though. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Yeah, I have actually removed all networks except the one I want to use, so there's no reordering to do. I see what you mean though. Any other suggestions?

Ok, so when you switch users and the wireless drops out do the wireless prefs say anything different to those from before you switched?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16
There is an error in a Kernel-module in OS X which is the reason for this issue. If you replace the kernel module it might help you. See the thread here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3704573?start=60&tstart=0

Look for the section I have highlighted below.

In your case - with many upgrades - I think a clean install (not upgrade) would solve the problem. You will then get rid of the faulty kex-module.

Here is the solution:

1- download the Kext Utility here : Kext Utility / Home / cVad MAC
2- then… reinstall the IO8211Family.kext from 10.6 Snow Leopard and reboot (get it from a 10.6 install DVD)
3- and only after that... you will be able to successfully reinstall the IO8211Family.kext from 10.7.2 (get it from your TimeMachine backup) [this last step is only needed if you want the AirDrop-option back]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.