I Mac questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 1,1 + IMAC G5
I just got a new IMac G5 and have a couple odd questions.
- I also have an old Ti Powerbook G4 without a burner and was curious as to how I can get some of my files from the G4 over to my new IMac. Can I use a USB or a firewire cable? I know that if my network at home worked I could do it that way, but that brings up question 2.

- I have a Linksys wireless G router (OSX and Windows compatible) but despite less than 15 feet of distance from the router my G5 only gets half or less of the airport reception and thus connects slowly. My G4 on the other hand shows a full level airport reception but does not connect to the net at all, only when it is wired via ethernet.

Tonight I tried to hardwire the IMac G5 straight to the ethernet, but it still keeps looking fo the wireless via airport and shows a reception level even when the router is disconnected. Does that possibly mean that I ampossibly receiving someone else's signal?
Sorry about all these questions.
Herbert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
for your first ?
use the mac migratino asistant in utilities and follow the directions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
If you are receiving somebody elses signal it should be named differently unless they happen to have the same named connection - which is unlikely..

As mac attack says, the easiest way to transfer is through the migration utility..

Reasons for signals being different, dunno on that one, maybe there is less things in the way of the wifi arial in your powerbook than there is in your imac. If it is disconnected though, it should not be showing anything.

I would suggest that you put the Jwire widget onto your dashboard on the PB (presuming you have tiger running on that) or a similar program that can show you all available wireless networks from the location of your machine. This will be a double way of checking 2 networks with the same id are in near location of one and another.

OP
Apfel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
homer_j said:
I
I would suggest that you put the Jwire widget onto your dashboard on the PB (presuming you have tiger running on that) or a similar program that can show you all available wireless networks from the location of your machine. This will be a double way of checking 2 networks with the same id are in near location of one and another.

Yes,
I am indeed catching my neighbours wireless network and not my own. Question now is whether I should just return my router for a different one, or get rid of my cable modem and save $50 a month and just browse on my neighbors "dime." :)
Herbert

Reaction score
Firstly stealing is wrong :eek:neye:

And there is no need to return your router just changed the SSID (network name) so its not the same as next doors and then cahnge the channel it braodcasts on. If the two neworks are on the same channel then it will cause more interference. All of this is simple to do and should be in the linksys instrcutions or website.

OP
Apfel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just being a smartass. After endless tech phone calls I finally have it done. Perfect reception and fast speed. Plus I even told my neighbor that he needed to encrypt his network.
:)
Thanks
H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
mig.gentry said:
Firstly stealing is wrong :eek:neye:

Lets not get "preachy" here. If he wants to suck off his neighbor, and his neighbor is stupid enough to leave his network open, then let him. Try growing up and joining the real world for a change.... jeez...

S

supremeoverlord

yeah, his neighbor is bombarding his house with these waves, its not stealing! That's like your neighbor accusing of you stealing his music because you can hear it when he plays it to loud out of his stereo in his house. If anyone is to be blamed its the neighbor invading his space with the wireless waves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
baggss said:
Lets not get "preachy" here. If he wants to suck off his neighbor, and his neighbor is stupid enough to leave his network open, then let him. Try growing up and joining the real world for a change.... jeez...

Why not? Well, in most jurisdictions it's against the law. Stealing is stealing regardless of your justifications.

I suppose you are one of those people that believe if someone leaves their car unlocked, it's OK to steal anything that he has in his car. After all, they were stupid enough to leave their car unlocked so it's fair game, right?

But wait, since it's fairly easy to intercept packets on encrypted networks and swipe the key, it's fair game since anyone stupid enough to leave themselves open like that deserves what they get, right?

Basically, if it's possible to rip someone off they have to be fair game, because they are so stupid as to leave themselves open. That is the logical extension of your argument, and it's what thieves and con-men have been saying going back to antiquity.

And frankly, I hold equipment manufacturers more to blame than non-techie wireless users. It's trivial to have a built in default encryption key on a wireless router. Some manufacturers already do this (2wire for instance). Most people just want to buy equipment and have it work (it just works, anyone?) and not have to mess around with a bunch of technical things that they have never heard of before and likely won't have to mess with again for many months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dan828 said:
Why not? Well, in most jurisdictions it's against the law. Stealing is stealing regardless of your justifications.

I suppose you are one of those people that believe if someone leaves their car unlocked, it's OK to steal anything that he has in his car. After all, they were stupid enough to leave their car unlocked so it's fair game, right?

But wait, since it's fairly easy to intercept packets on encrypted networks and swipe the key, it's fair game since anyone stupid enough to leave themselves open like that deserves what they get, right?

Basically, if it's possible to rip someone off they have to be fair game, because they are so stupid as to leave themselves open. That is the logical extension of your argument, and it's what thieves and con-men have been saying going back to antiquity.

And frankly, I hold equipment manufacturers more to blame than non-techie wireless users. It's trivial to have a built in default encryption key on a wireless router. Some manufacturers already do this (2wire for instance). Most people just want to buy equipment and have it work (it just works, anyone?) and not have to mess around with a bunch of technical things that they have never heard of before and likely won't have to mess with again for many months.

You made WAY to many assumptions there. If his neighbor is stupid enough to leave it open, then he gets what he gets. If his neighbor leaves his car unlocked, I would not personally mess with it, but again, he gets what he gets. Any yes, if your stupid enough to let yourself get ripped off, it IS your fault. Maybe if you were not so naive you would understand that.

If you think jacking someone's unprotected wireless signal is wrong, fine, but don't try and preach your sense of right or wrong to someone else, it's up to each individual. No one made you the keeper of other morals and ideals.

I can also guarantee you that using his neighbors signal is NOT illegal and no one would be prosecuted for doing even if they were seriously abusing it. The only person responsible for who uses the signal is his neighbor, not him, not the company that built the product, period.

Now, if you want to speak of the moral perspective here, that is different, but lets not get your moral sense of right and wrong and what is "legal" or not mixed up. In short, keep your morals to yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
baggss said:
You made WAY to many assumptions there. If his neighbor is stupid enough to leave it open, then he gets what he gets. If his neighbor leaves his car unlocked, I would not personally mess with it, but again, he gets what he gets. Any yes, if your stupid enough to let yourself get ripped off, it IS your fault. Maybe if you were not so naive you would understand that.

If you think jacking someone's unprotected wireless signal is wrong, fine, but don't try and preach your sense of right or wrong to someone else, it's up to each individual. No one made you the keeper of other morals and ideals.

I can also guarantee you that using his neighbors signal is NOT illegal and no one would be prosecuted for doing even if they were seriously abusing it. The only person responsible for who uses the signal is his neighbor, not him, not the company that built the product, period.

Now, if you want to speak of the moral perspective here, that is different, but lets not get your moral sense of right and wrong and what is "legal" or not mixed up. In short, keep your morals to yourself.

LOL. Keep my morals to myself? Just like you are doing I suppose. Funny how you feel no need to restrain your own preaching of what is right and what is wrong, yet belittle and insult anyone else that does so. Some people would call that hypocrisy. As for naivety, well, I seriously doubt you could touch any of my networks. But I suppose you just wanted to be insulting and it was what you thought up first. People have been arrested and charged for wireless intrusion of home networks, but most jurisdictions don't have either the manpower, resources, or technical ability to investigate or bring to trial the thieves.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121747,00.asp

Be that as it may, most jurisdictions don't bother to even take statements over car break-ins, let alone investigate them. But as you said, you are fine with that. Those stupid people get what they get leaving stuff in their car.

Anyways, enough of the thread hi-jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not preaching my morals, I'm simply saying that he can do what he wants with his neighbors signal, and shouldn't be preached to by the goody goody crowd. I'm not saying he should do it, simply that it is his choice, not yours or anyone else's.

I'm glad your bright enough to keep your networks locked down, I'm all for it and have mine secured as well. If I wanted to be insulting there was much more I could have said, I was simply stating my impression of your views.

Hey, if they have the time and money to put a guy in jail for stealing network access, then more power to them. I could see this being an issue on a corporate level than on an individual level. Sounds like judicious use of tax dollars to me (not). Guess you proved me wrong though, as silly as it is, but I agree that most places wouldn't even do anything about it.

OP
Apfel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dan,
I don't want to drag this out much further considering the issue is resolved. But I would argue heavily that taking something from an unlocked car or house is quite different than using someone's signal. I liken it more to this scenario.
If my neighbor puts a piece of cake on my counter while I am not there, I should be able to eat it when I want, and if he plays his music too loud and I can hear it here loud and clear hopefully the music industry won't go after me for not having paid for the music. :)

Happy New Year

H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. The guy in the article above was War-Driving, out looking for service that was unprotected. If you are sitting in your own home at your own desk with your own computer and there is an open network within reach then I see no problem with it. The cake example is a bit simplistic, but makes the point nicely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.