Time Machine nearing full, but has few backups on it (?)

Reaction score
I have a 1TB Time Machine that is showing 70GB of available space. My 1TB iMac has only 200GB used on its disk. I deleted a bunch of the old TM backups, leaving only about 7 of them. My understanding is the backups are "incremental", so I'm assuming they are not each 200GB.

So why would I only have 70GB available on what should be a relatively empty TM?

Could old stuff be hiding somewhere?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you leave the external hard drive attached and mounted on your iMac when you emptied its Trash after deleting the backups you no longer needed on it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, as the TM is connected via AirPort.

Plus, I had a massive number of backups in my trash that I couldn't get rid of until I disconnected the AirPort. And oddly enough, a few days later they showed up again! I disconnect the AirPort and deleted the trash and they are gone - again - hopefully for good.

However, I'm suspicious that the mostly full TM is somehow related to my trash reappearing problem. Quite the conundrum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.