Mac/Windows networking issue

T

tedley

Hi, before i start, i'm a newbie to forums so please excuse me.

At work we run a windows based network with a wireless router and connecting to it with my PB is fine. however, i have some issues when i want to talk to the windows pc's. I can see them in the Network page and they all see me. Futhermore, accessing my mac from the pcs is no problem once logged in, it allows me to browse to whole hard drive from windows. Unfortunatly the otherway around isn't as smooth. The mac is able to see the pcs and the shared folders they have but opening any folder does not display its contents. i just get 0 items at the bottom. The one PC I only really need to access is soon to go headless so i kinda need to get this sorted. any ideas?

feel free to insult me if i'm doing something dumb or haven't checked a box.

many thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you can log into the PC's with the Mini but when you open folders they are blank?

What folders? Some in XP are protected unless you share them. I right click on the folder and click Sharing then set it up.

I hope I read your message correctly and this helps you.

OP
T

tedley

dtravis7 said:
So you can log into the PC's with the Mini but when you open folders they are blank?
yup
i've set up sharing on the root of the drive and the other pcs can access anything on the drive (read & write)
on the mac; the root 'folder' shows up (d drive in this case) but the mac sees nothing inside this.
i bet its the blasted pc.
i've found a way around it using M$ RDC but its not the most straight-forward way.

I'm probably confusing you by not using the correct terms for everything, i still slip up and call a folder a directory sometimes (oh dear)

hope this clarifies things

ps, itunes music sharing works both ways and rdc works fine so they def talk. just not file sharing (which IS switched on btw)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
strange ive never had that happen to me with any of my windows machines at home.

Dont really know what to suggest as it works fine with the other PC's. Can you access all the files in the same way on another machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.