Home Network problem

Reaction score
I have 5 computers on my home network. Four PC's and one iMac.

I cannot seem to be able to share the printers I have connected to my iMac. The PC's don't even find the iMac on the network. I can see all the PC's from the PC's.

The home network configuration is 3 laptops and the iMac wireless and one desktop PC wired.

I am a new Imac user so I am sure I have something incorrectly set up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First and foremost, you'd be best advised to purchase a print server for that printer. Not that it's impossible to use the iMac as a host, just that a dedicated print server makes things so much easier and more reliable.

Things to check:

1. In Sharing (under System Preferences), be sure you have Printer Sharing enabled.
2. Ensure that the Firewall is turned off (System Preferences => Security & Privacy => Firewall tab)
3. Set the workgroup to match that of the Windows machines (System Preferences => Network => Choose the interface in the left pane [i.e. AirPort, Ethernet, etc.] => Advanced => WINS tab => Workgroup field).

Assuming those three items are addressed, the Mac should be visible as a host on the network. Then, it's a matter of ensuring the correct drivers are installed on the Windows machines and setting them to communicate over a network port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You would have to turn on SMB sharing to see file shares - System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options -> Share files and folders using SMB (Windows) - otherwise your windows system won't see it.

Also - another route - you could try installing bonjour services on your PCs to see if that helps.
Bonjour Print Services for Windows v2.0.2

OP
BCRose
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I went through the steps suggested and the iMac now shows up on the other computers.

Cannot find the printers though, I have them set as available in the printer sharing section of System preferences. Any ideas more ideas?

Thanks again by the way, I appreciate the detailed help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Not sure if this applies in your specific environment but I had a similar issue regarding windows machine not seeing printers on mac or on network. I installed Bonjour for windows on the windows machine and ran that utility. Problem solved.

OP
BCRose
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped. The Bonjour service did the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Now if someone could help me solve the opposite problem I would be eternally grateful! My macs cannot see the printer attached to my windows machine. Major frustration because every time I print from my MBA I have to go down to the basement to retrieve the print rather than the next room where the PC and the attached printer I used to use are located. I've tried everything I can find. Suspect I am not giving the correct destination address for the printer but I honestly have no clue about such things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I did share the printer on windows and I know the share name. I tried to follow the process to manually add printer described at the link you list but it did not work. I do not understand what is meant by "workgroup" or how to find the name of the work group on the windows machine so I suppose that might be messing me up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.