.NEF photos lost in IPhoto '08?

Reaction score
I uploaded about 1000 .NEF photos to my laptop and thought that they were picked up by IPhoto '08. It turns out that they're just small thumbnails of some small MBs b/c IPhoto doesn't recognize .NEF. A couple weeks later and because I was going on a trip, I noticed that my SD cards were full but no photos were showing up when I put them on my laptop so I emptied out the trash while my SD card was in my laptop. This freed up space on my SD card but also meant that I deleted any originals of these 1000 photos (or so I think).

I've gone into the package contents of IPhoto to see if my .NEF photos are still there and while the folder exists inside the Originals folder, a simple 'show file' tells me that it currently has 0 of 11.8 GB inside it.

Does this mean that I've lost my .NEF photos? or is there a way to recover them? Please help. They were of a friends wedding and are urgently needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Before you do anything else... for all intent and purposes, aside from reading posts from this forum, stop using your Mac!

I'll post back with instructions or links, and will PM you as well if you don't see this.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.