Charging iPad with 6v dynamo on a bike

Reaction score
I am a cycle tourist. I have a 6v a/c dynamo in my front wheel which charges a 5800mah battery. I use this battery to keep my head light, my phone, my mp3player and any other electronic gadget I choose to carry. I know the basics of electricity and I understand that different gadgets require different power supplies. My iPhone uses the same charger as my new iPad. I know the voltage requirements of the iPad are different to the iPod.
Question:-

Will I damage my iPad battery if I try to charge it with a 6v battery pack?

I will be traveling remote in outback Australia for a few weeks and I want to keep my blog up to date.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't believe it would damage it per se, but it probably won't charge it either...

Here's a bit more about the iPad's battery and charging requirements:

The iPad's charging challenge explained | Macworld

Do you know how many amps the outlet provides? Have you ever charged any other USB-style devices from it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I've also been looking at this, because I'm also a cycling tourist when I can get the time! I don't have iPad but iPhone and like to travel light so that's my camera too.

I would check out the Busch and Muller E-Werk Power Supply. It will take charge from a dynamo hub and has a cached battery which is the important thing. There is some detail on this link I've provided.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-e-werk-prod21393/

Hmm I just noticed some technical detail about support for Apple I devices. There is lots of anecdotal evidence in cycling forums regarding general success powering Apple devices so I'm not sure about this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.