AP Extreme Cuting Out

Reaction score
Having a problem with a new AP extreme, purchased new 5/30/12. Firmware is up to date.

The Problems:
1. Listening to iTunes using my laptop connected by wireless to the AP, library stored on HD connected to AP. Occasional periods of silence where music cuts out. I’m guessing the wireless signal being interrupted or data transfer rate is low, or HD data transfer. I have to think that if the AP extreme is good for HD video streaming it could also stream my music in lossless format without interruption.
2. Related to #1, doing what I describe in #1 while loading CD's into my iTunes library, data is transferred by wireless, not hardwired to router. It works for a short time, then the drive gets disconnected. I can only reestablish the connection to the drive by shutting down the computer and rebooting, even need to reboot the AP extreme as it will recognize the drive (after laptop reboot) but can not mount it.

The Setup:
- AP is located on first floor of my small old house with plaster walls. Located next to my TV which has a wireless Roku box attached, but neither is on when the problems occur. Generally no problems with range or signal, ping test results – times typically just under 3 ms using wireless connection.
- No other data-intensive activity is taking place on the network. At worst the other mac laptop is web surfing. AP extreme is configured using the default apple settings.
- 750GB LaCie desktop USB drive connected to the AP via powered hub. LaCie is partitioned, half in HFS+ for time machine backups for two Mac laptops, the other half in FAT32 for general storage and iTunes library (all files in Apple lossless format).
- Running iTunes 10.6.3.
- Both laptops are 13” macbooks circa 2009 with 2 GHz intel core 2 duo’s and 4 GB ram, running OSX 10.5.8.
- I connect wirelessly to the AP with my macbook to listen to the iTunes library stored on the LaCie.
- AP extreme is connected to my cable modem, Motorola Surfboard model SB5101, via Ethernet cable through my Ooma tele box. Don’t think this influences my issues noted here.

This is frustrating and annoying. Plan in getting a Sonos and connecting by wire to the AP, but this doesn’t change the fact that the AP should, in my opinion, be able to do this without interruption.

Comments appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.