usb wireless ya or nay?

B

ByHisGrace

whats the final verdict on these usb connected wireless adapters? I was thinking about getting one for my ibook cause its a cheap and quick way to get connected i think. what do u guys say? and does anyone have suggested ones that they have used?

OP
T

tedley

Flimsy, even branded products suffer

I had one of these for a pc laptop and i can't say they're great. ok they do work but its more of a physical problem i had. A plastic stick sticking out the side isn't too great when mobile and is easily knocked. this eventually bent the usb port outta shape meaning it would often fall out/disconnect, then the whole thing packed up when i found a work "friend" had propped the computer up with it "to get a better signal". It now says "unrecognised USB device" when connected. windoze, i dunno....

stick with a built in jobbie if u can or only use on a desktop IMO.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I much prefer the WiFi built in to the machine. Like tedley said, annoying having that long adapter sticking out the side of the laptop when carrying it around. I have also with both the USB and PCMCIA adapters I have used, noticed I do not get anywhere as strong a signal with the externals as with my iBook and Centrino laptops I have tried. In some cases one faded away while the Centrino and iBook were at 2-3 bars. If it's the only way to get wireless internet into the laptop, then sure, they are nice. Give me built in anyday.

OP
T

tedley

dtravis7 said:
noticed I do not get anywhere as strong a signal with the externals as with my iBook
same experience. signal just not as good, was gonna put that but felt i'd already made my feelings clear

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.