Virgin Mobile iPhone bluetooth iPad tethering

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 4S through Virgin Mobile with their $30 prepaid plan. I'm trying to find out if they allow the built-in iOS bluetooth tethering to an iPad. I emailed them twice but the CS reps were clueless and kept telling me about the mobile hotspot feature for an additional $15.

Does anyone know if you can use iPhone to iPad bluetooth tethering on the Virgin Mobile pre-paid plan?

C

chas_m

Short answer: no.

The Bluetooth implementation in iOS devices is fairly limited, restricted largely to audio/headset use and some gaming purposes (oh, and there is support for BT keyboards). That's about it though.

The real answer there is to create a Wi-Fi hotspot using their "mobile hotspot" feature, which apparently costs an extra $15 (but probably does come with some additional data I should think).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It doesn't help getting around buying an additional Internet Hotspot/tethering addon but you can tether from the 4s to the iPad by wifi or bluetooth

C

chas_m

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yes, you guess correctly: since hotspot ability has to be enabled in the first place, you will most definitely incur the extra charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.