Wireless routers

C

canadian_eh

Hey everyone,
Just got a new iBook, well actually, getting it for Christmas (lucky me, eh). And I'm lloking for a good, but not too expensive wireless router.
I know that Apple has a few routers, but they can get pretty pricey. My friend suggested a Linksys, and my Dad suggests D-Link. Any input?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I've had both, and I can completely vouch for both of them. But at the moment, I'm using Linksys, particularly this one WRT54GS. It's perfect and hasn't caused me any troubles. Both didn't need to be reset ever and setup was too easy. But Linksys does seem to be the popular one, and I can see why, now that I got one. The only reason I went from D-Link to Linksys is because the old one was wireless B, and I needed faster transfer speeds, so I needed G. But I wanted to see what Linksys was all about, so I tried them, and I'm happy I did. But still, both are great brands.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with iWhat. Both good brands but my vote goes to the Linksys WR54g or gs. I have the G and it's great router with an SPI Firewall. Very good range also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
second the Linksys - just bought the WRT54GS and it works wonderfully. My roommate was leery about the price but was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i use a linksys 54wrtg and it works great. i have had it for over a year and still it works great

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I've had a WRT54G for quite awhile now, gone through quite a few firmware upgrades and the thing still hasnt skipped a beat. I highly reccommend that router.

Reaction score
I've used Linksys, Belkin and a No Name brand from ebuyer the online retailer. Linksys and Belkin are both excellent, If you are a first timer i'd go with linksys they have a free 24 help line which was great to help me get setup first time around. I won't mention the no-name brand, too much hassle for the small saving in the cost, go with a good name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i have all 3, linksys, belkin and an old dlink 614+ its a b band but works great for the windows laptops. i use the belkin for my desktops at my parents house since we got it for free. its a g band.

The linksys i gave to my friend, he has a nice setup at his apt.

As far as all of them, linksys i know is easily hackable. i have a program that you can download that takes off the security options....but i know you have to know what your doin to be able to use it. My Dlink is old still works....prolly wont buy another one.

I really cant find a difference between them, Linksys always has firmware updates, dlink takes bout 8months for them to redo them. never seen one for this belkin.

You can get any of the routers for almost nothing, Bestbuy and compusa always put them onsale for $9.99 or 19.99 after rebates.

Personally, im switching from the dlink to the Airport with itunes, less wires, easy as heck to hook up. and clean.

But like with my experience, its all personal prefrence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i bought a Airport extreme. i used my wired router to give it broadband and now 3 of my pc's out of 5 run off wireless.

it is great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
One problem with non-Apple routers is that Airport Express facilities (like extending the range of the network, using wireless printing with Express and playing iTunes with Express) are not available.

As I discovered after buying an Express to do just that with my Belkin router-based wireless network.

My Belkin has one annoying problem - it frequently drops my internet connection when you are not actually using it...

I'd say about 80% of times you log on to the network, you have to configure the **** thing to tell it to make an internet connection.

Also, if you reset it, you have to re-config it to accept more that one computer at a time.

As soon as I can get round to it, I'm getting an Airport Extreme, so I can get a better signal in distant parts of the house using Express, get the **** printer out of the way yet still use it - from all my 'puters - without miles of USB cable running everywhere and send music to the stereo without the same cable hassle...

Windows PCs don't have the options that Express offers, so if you have them as well as Apples, the above doesn't apply much but since you have a new iBook coming (I love mine, by the way!!) it might pay in the long run to bite the not-inconsiderable bullet of paying for the Extreme base-station if any of the extra facilities might be useful to you...

And that's my two-penny worth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I have a linksys, the only problem I had with it was trying to set up xbox live to work with wireless, but other than that it was simple.

OP
C

canadian_eh

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!
You've been a HUGE help in my decision!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Linksys WRT54G gets my vote

Over 1 1/2 years and still kicking ****

++

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.