Storing and Sharing Pictures

Reaction score
Hello, So i am trying to figure out the easiest way to store and share about 1 terabyte's worth of pictures and videos between multiple computers. I am wondering whether it would be best to do use an online cloud like service such as drop box or if it would be possible to use something such as a Time Capsule. i would prefer not to spend 795 annually for drop box so a cheaper alternative would be great. Thanks for your impute!
-Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If those computers are on the same network then I'd suggest a 2tb Network hard disk (NAS). Time Capsule will perform this function but I'd suggest a dedicated NAS (rather than one with a built in router like TC).

Choose the right NAS and you'll be able to access the contents on your home network and over the web.

C

chas_m

I agree. The cost of storing 1TB of photos online would be ridiculous, although having said that Flickr DOES claim that if you join them at the Pro level ($25/year) you can allegedly store "unlimited" amounts of pictures at the original resolution ... something to look into ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I agree. The cost of storing 1TB of photos online would be ridiculous, although having said that Flickr DOES claim that if you join them at the Pro level ($25/year) you can allegedly store "unlimited" amounts of pictures at the original resolution ... something to look into ...

Smugmug does too, and to be honest.. I prefer their interface, and services.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I have great experience with NAS servers from Synology if you decide to go that way. That would depend on how much you are looking to spend and, as suggested above, if you need the photos to be available on the internet.

You could simply use any computer with enabled network sharing ...

Another consideration is what will the photos be used for? Do you need to edit them from network storage? Or just for viewing? Archiving your albums?

OP
B
Reaction score
Connecting it to an apple tv?

would a NAS be able to connect to an apple tv so i would be able to watch them as well? or would i have to purchase something like a mac mini and an extra terabyte to do that?
as you can see i am very confused

OP
B
Reaction score
and i will be using the photos to share between computers as in uploading and pulling them from the device

OP
B
Reaction score
mac mini

Would I be able to achieve what I am trying to do with a Mac.mini with network sharing? Would I be able to move photos from other computers to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Would I be able to achieve what I am trying to do with a Mac.mini with network sharing? Would I be able to move photos from other computers to it?

Yes :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.