iTunes match

Reaction score
I am looking to sign up to iTunes match in a few weeks and I would like some questions answered.

Is iTunes match a good and inexpensive way to back up my music?

When it uploads music it can't match does it make a copy or take the actual song out of my iTunes list?

I a ton of songs recorded of of vinyl using a usb turntable will there be an issue with those?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I am looking to sign up to iTunes match in a few weeks and I would like some questions answered.

When it uploads music it can't match does it make a copy or take the actual song out of my iTunes list?

I a ton of songs recorded of of vinyl using a usb turntable will there be an issue with those?

Thanks in advance.

I really like iTunes match. It's great having access to all my songs on all my devices and computers. It is great way to backup songs, as long as you don't need them in uncompressed format or anything over 256kbps. If Match already has the song, then if you lose or delete it, you can download a 256kbps version, even if your original was poorer quality. However, if your original song was uncompressed or of higher quality and you lose or delete it, you'll only be able to pull down a 256kbps version. I just tested this theory now, to confirm. I backed up, then deleted a 320kbps song. Immediately, Match made the 256kbps version available to me for download.

As well, even if you have uncompressed or higher bit rate versions on your main computer, your other computers and devices will only pull down the 256kbps version.

As for vinyl, I'm not sure what type of issue you're thinking of. If you have converted them to digital and uploaded them to Match, you'll be able to download them again. If the same songs were in Match, you'll end up pulling down the 256kbps version, regardless of what you uploaded. If there is no match, you'll download whatever you uploaded.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative reply. You pretty much answered my questions.

C

chas_m

Yes.

Makes a copy.

Yes -- unless you have properly tagged them with song title, artist and album name. If you have, then no you won't have a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.