• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best SpacePen?

Reaction score
I need a pen that will write upside down, under water, laying down, on any kind of paper, etc. I have done a lot of research, but I figured someone on this board would have an opinion about this. Thoughts?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Wrong forum, and I suppose someone might have an idea about pens..you're better of in Schewb's Lounge..

OP
McGrupp22
Reaction score
I knew this wasn't the proper place, but I figured someone on here had thoughts about pens.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I know that I have limited need to write upside down underwater, especially on different types of paper. ;P

EDIT: BTW, I deleted your post in Schweb's Lounge. Please don't make duplicate posts. I am considering moving this thread and will do so if needed.

OP
McGrupp22
Reaction score
Ok, so here's my need... I write down setlists at concerts I attend, and I'm usually holding on to the notebook while standing up, and the ink in a cheesy bic pen always goes to the top and wont come back down. Some times the paper is wet from being spilled on, sometimes different type of notebook peper, etc...I just thought people on this forum would have some sort of opinion on a good pen that ALWAYS writes whenever you need it to.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't know of any pen experts on this site, but FWIW I have found Gel Ink based pens to be better performers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't know of any pen experts on this site, but FWIW I have found Gel Ink based pens to be better performers.

I can attest to that. In a former life, I used to do a lot of inventorying of computer systems, which often requiring crawling under desks and writing in strange positions - gel pens are great for that. I couldn't give a recommendation for a specific brand, but I really think the technology was designed with that sort of application in mind.

OP
McGrupp22
Reaction score
I'm going to be sure to bring a Gel Ink pen for the next time I attend a concert I want to write the setlist down, and not the cheap Bic one I took from the hotel before the show saturday!

Reaction score
Ah hah! A pen stealer! Probably got towels and shampoo too. :)

OP
McGrupp22
Reaction score
Nope! I replaced the crap pen when I got back to the Hotel after the concert! I believe in karma!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
At concerts I attend a cheap pen would always be the way to go, even though it doesn't write so good :-D

OP
McGrupp22
Reaction score
Thanks AudioTrench, I went with the AG-7. I mean it DID go to the moon, hah!

scathe- I just hate when I have to deal with getting it to work again, it takes away from the overall vibe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
reminds me of a Seinfeld episode :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ok, so here's my need... I write down setlists at concerts I attend, and I'm usually holding on to the notebook while standing up, and the ink in a cheesy bic pen always goes to the top and wont come back down. Some times the paper is wet from being spilled on, sometimes different type of notebook peper, etc...I just thought people on this forum would have some sort of opinion on a good pen that ALWAYS writes whenever you need it to.

I used a pencil in tapers row.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
No problem! I advise from experience.. My father used to use them when he was in the Forces, so naturally, I used them too. They're stunning to write with.. Unfortunately, I didn't get to test how they worked in zero-G :(

OP
McGrupp22
Reaction score
No problem! I advise from experience.. My father used to use them when he was in the Forces, so naturally, I used them too. They're stunning to write with.. Unfortunately, I didn't get to test how they worked in zero-G :(

It would be fun to put the pen through its paces in a Zero-G environment

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.