Touch pad sensitivity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I'm using a MBA with Lion and external apple touch pad. Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad?

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
If I could adjust it I would make it slightly less sensitive. I find that I often execute a program or open a file without intending to do so. I don't use the click feature - prefer tap. But my question is - can the sensitivity be adjusted?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I could adjust it I would make it slightly less sensitive. I find that I often execute a program or open a file without intending to do so. I don't use the click feature - prefer tap. But my question is - can the sensitivity be adjusted?

I have the same problem. In fact I avoided using the trackpad on my 2008 MB Pro for that reason.

If you cannot get things adjusted the way you like with the system preferences you might try BetterTouchTool. It has helped me with some of the issues I had.

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its funny because I do not have this problem when using the built in touch pad. I've also been noticing that the performance is inconsistent - sometimes the slightest touch executes a command and other times I have to really tap hard. If I can't get this sorted out I may reluctantly have to return it and use a mouse when I am running in clamshell mode with an external monitor. I'll check out that link. Thanks.

Edit - did check out that BTT but it does not appear to permit adjustment of the touch sensitivity. I am beginning to think that it might have something to do with the wireless aspect. I am noticing even with the wireless keyboard I have very slight delays here and there. Sometimes when I press a key it takes a bit for the character to appear on the screen. Annoying.

I'll poke around the internet and see what I can find but this is starting to bother me.

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've searched all around and I am unable to find a way to adjust the sensitivity of the pad when you tap to execute a command. Surprising. If anyone comes up with something let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
If you do have to change it out for a mouse, let me recommend the magic mouse. I do love the swipe and scroll features on it. I currently use the magic mouse when I am doing extensive mouse work in a document and use the laptop touchpad for everything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.