What is the best way to output audio to my DJ system?

Reaction score
I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with!

First off I am a mobile DJ and I DJ primarily weddings and use the program djay.
I just need a primary output and a second output to cue songs.

Currently I DJ using the 1/8 stero jack on my macbook to the RCA connectors on my mixer.
Is this considered "digital" ? And is this a quality connection?

I read that the output on the mac is analog/optical, what does this mean?

What is my best way to connect my mac to my DJ system? What type of product will be best?

I don't want to spend too much. Thank you so much for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with!

First off I am a mobile DJ and I DJ primarily weddings and use the program djay.
I just need a primary output and a second output to cue songs.

Currently I DJ using the 1/8 stero jack on my macbook to the RCA connectors on my mixer.
Is this considered "digital" ? And is this a quality connection?

I read that the output on the mac is analog/optical, what does this mean?

What is my best way to connect my mac to my DJ system? What type of product will be best?

I don't want to spend too much. Thank you so much for your time!

The RCA connectors that you describe are analogue. If you want the benefits of digital then you will need an optical cable with mini-toslink connector (assuming that your system has the necessary corresponding optical input). You can also get adaptors to suit your purposes.

The socket on the Mac automatically recognises the fact that you have plugged an optical (digital) cable in and alters the attributes in it's audio settings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for your response!

http://www.adjaudio.com/pdffiles/Q-2422 PRO.pdf

That is the PDF for my mixer. Is it possible it only handles analog sound? I don't think I've ever seen a DJ mixer with optical audio.

If that is the case what is my best option for sound quality? A usb interface? Thank you again!
Which do you recommend ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thank you for your response!

http://www.adjaudio.com/pdffiles/Q-2422 PRO.pdf

That is the PDF for my mixer. Is it possible it only handles analog sound? I don't think I've ever seen a DJ mixer with optical audio.

If that is the case what is my best option for sound quality? A usb interface? Thank you again!
Which do you recommend ?

Hey no problem.

Your system does not appear to have digital inputs. There is nothing inherently wrong in my opinion with Analog.

You could get an adaptor for example one of these (UK site apologies)

Play.com - Buy online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

But it might defeat the object somewhat unless the Digital to Analog Convertor inside it is better than the one in the Mac. If you think about it, you'll be taking the digital stream from the Mac and converting it back into Analog because your mixer can't do it for itself without it's own DAC. Previously the Mac was converting the digital to Analog and this was going straight to the mixer via the RCA connectors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.