Making most on new Macbook Pro Help!

Reaction score
Hi all, Finally took the plunge and got a Macbook Pro 13",
However looking around online wanting to get the most from it, i have noticed on the like of Youtube etc that people have a dock and desktops full of Apps and short cuts.

I have searched around online and the App store to find the "funky" and most usefull programms or Apps to download/ install.

Just so you know what type of guy i am, i love gaming and quiet technically minded. and like to be a bit of a geek, i work away from home for long periods and want to use my Mac for more than just web surfing. Want to be able for someone to look over my shoulder and see me doing some stuff that gets the WOW factor if you get me. Biggest thing i have done so far is download Adobe and Firefox!!!!

I have heard of things like Cider, windows crossovers etc,

A steer in the right direction and any advise would be great so i can stand out from other users, (magazines i bought just cover the basics you can work out for yourself like Mail, iCal etc).
Thanks guys and will look forward to hearing your feedback

C

chas_m

If you really want to impress people with your Mac, REALLY LEARN IT. Just the programs that came with it. MASTER THEM. Don't lard up the system with a bunch of gee-whiz software you don't actually use.

PC people are generally DUMBFOUNDED when they see what is included on a Mac long before they get to anything you have to purchase separately. But the way to impress them is not to have fancy-schmacy stuff all over the place -- it's to be able to command a program well, get your work done quickly and enjoyably. That's what drives people to the Mac, not the fact that you can play World of Warcraft at full frame rates or silly stuff like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I agree with Case_M. OS X comes with about all the programs you need to do most work. I have downloaded and use Open Office. OS X is based on Unix. You can use the terminal to do most of the task the GUI can do. Don't know why but I have enjoyed learning about the command line. You will find OS X is fast and simple yet as powerful as you need it to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.