IP Forwarding help

A

anathema

ok, basicly let me start by saying im kinda new to mac, and computer retarded, so go easy on me.

i have a ibook, i also have a PC that my router is pluged in to, so i use airport for the internet.

my friend is.... well this is what he wrote to me -

"its basically IP Forwarding - when someone puts the ip address of my router, it forwards them on to my web server, which is installed on my computer."

but he said he didnt know if i could do this on my laptop, as he hasnt got mac (yet might i add)

any help on this would be great.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
What are you trying to do with port forwarding?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model of Router do you use?

Just to be sure, you want to share your Web Page on your iBook with the rest of the world correct?

OP
A

anathema

i won't it for sharing stuff like music or what ever really, then someone could go to the the address and get what i got there.

i have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router.

OP
A

anathema

ok, after speaking to my friend once more, he said all i need to do is a get a Free Web server, he can sort out the ip stuff. but after a quick google, i couldnt find any free web servers for mac? does anyone know to recomend me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
anathema said:
ok, after speaking to my friend once more, he said all i need to do is a get a Free Web server, he can sort out the ip stuff. but after a quick google, i couldnt find any free web servers for mac? does anyone know to recomend me?
Web Servers are platform independant. There is no need for a "Windows" or a "Mac" free web server.
Still, it does seem a little unclear as to what your friend wants to do... and why he/she feels that you need a web server for this task.

OP
A

anathema

D3v1L80Y said:
Web Servers are platform independant. There is no need for a "Windows" or a "Mac" free web server.
Still, it does seem a little unclear as to what your friend wants to do... and why he/she feels that you need a web server for this task.

he basicly use it to host stuff like music what ever.... he sent me the link of he's and then the album downloads?

OP
A

anathema

Web server...

Hey all,

I'm the friend in question...

Essentially I'm hosting a website from my computer, a Windoze machine. However, I'm using IIS as my server software, and as far as I know there's no Mac verison of it.

Is there a version of Apache for OS X? Or some other software?

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
anathema said:
Hey all,

I'm the friend in question...

Essentially I'm hosting a website from my computer, a Windoze machine. However, I'm using IIS as my server software, and as far as I know there's no Mac verison of it.

Is there a version of Apache for OS X? Or some other software?

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Apache is built in to the Mac OS X.3 and above. maybe lower, but i am not sure. go into system preferences> sharing > turn on web sharing. there will be a little blurb that tells you the address. then, go into your router and forward port 80 to the mac. the address will be your IP address from your ISP and then whatever the websharing address tells you. i.e http ://64.64.64.64/~username/index.htm

OP
A

anathema

fearlessfreap24 said:
Apache is built in to the Mac OS X.3 and above. maybe lower, but i am not sure. go into system preferences> sharing > turn on web sharing. there will be a little blurb that tells you the address. then, go into your router and forward port 80 to the mac. the address will be your IP address from your ISP and then whatever the websharing address tells you. i.e http ://64.64.64.64/~username/index.htm

Cheers. I'm ok with the router set up, just didn't know anything about Apache being built into OS X.

Cool...another reason to buy a Mac I guess. Thanks fellas!

Jimmy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.