mbp bootcamp gaming problem, sleep issue

Reaction score
hello,
i have a macbook pro 2011 intel core i7 2720QM [email protected] 4gb ram and i installed windows 7 32 bit via bootcamp when i first got my mbp to play games. i have never experienced any problems while playing skyrim, assassin's creed series, mass effect 3 or any other intense games but recently when i'm playing a game after 30-60 minutes my macbook goes to sleep and i press the power button to wake it up. i couldn't find any solutions to this problem. i thought overheating may be causing this but it was overheating before too. so i don't know what to do.

I hope someone has a solution to this problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your last sentence is a bit confusing. "Overheating" literally means that the machine is heating up beyond its design tolerances, and as such, it will shut down (and in your case, I believe it's sleeping). So, if it was "overheating" before (as opposed to just running hot, which is a normal condition), then it should have been shutting down then too.

You've likely accumulated some dust in the intake and exhaust tracts of your notebook. I would recommend getting a can of compressed air, removing the bottom panel and spraying it out in short, quick bursts (do not allow the fans to spin while doing this, hold them captive).

Aside from that, also ensure that your Boot Camp drivers are up-to-date by running Apple Software Update from within Windows.

And finally, make sure that the machine is on a flat, hard surface (i.e. not your lap) while you're gaming.

OP
B
Reaction score
i always use it on my desk and while using mac partition there is no heating like in the windows partition.

and by overheating i mean that it was getting really really hot.

and what i read on the apple support is that when mac's get overheated they just shut down, they don't go to sleep. so this is the confusing part for me.

and all of my drivers are up to date, i just updated them yesterday.

anyways i'll try to clear the fans.

Thank you!!

Reaction score
baran1111 I am having the exact same issue.. I am wondering, did clearing your fans help you out?? or if you have found any other work arounds for this issue.

I have the same computer that you have, but i am using 64 bit windows 7 on my bootcamp partition.

Reaction score
I'm also wondering if anyone else out there has had similar problems and have figured out a way to fix it

Reaction score
Fan management has been known to be totally inadequate under Windows, deactivating unused devices will make some difference.

Ibanezi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.