Desktop on TV wirelessly

Reaction score
I would like to share my desktop from my apple macbook air (soon to have mountain lion) with my networked TV (DLNA). Obviously there is Apple TV which would enable this but I don’t want to be tied to the apple platform, I may need to also share a windows laptop on the TV too.

Can someone please help. I have done some research and the only solutions that I can find are to use Apple TV or to buy a video sender (which I don’t fancy as I don’t want to plug extra dongles into the laptop).

Can anyone suggest anything other than apple TV or is this impossible?

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You may want to keep an eye on this
What Is AirServer?

They don't yet appear to have the functionality you are looking for, but that may be coming.
I use this APP on my Mac Mini and it works great.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Does anyone know if there is any hardware solution without using Apple TV

Reaction score
Connect your Apple TV to internet. Make sure Internet is working on Apple TV. Open Safari browser on Apple TV and start remotely accessing your Macbook or your windows laptop by using various remote support services such as gosupportnow.com, logmeinrescue.com etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Connect your Apple TV to internet. Make sure Internet is working on Apple TV. Open Safari browser on Apple TV and start remotely accessing your Macbook or your windows laptop by using various remote support services such as gosupportnow.com, logmeinrescue.com etc.

I don't think the OP has AppleTV and even if they did it doesn't have Safari, or indeed, any other browser.

OP:
What you're asking for is a software based wireless video protocol that works on Windows, Mac and a TV. That's a big ask and not something that exists to my knowledge. I believe the most robust and platform independent solution to be wireless wifi as already advised.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.