New iPhoto doesn't show Aperture folders and albums

Reaction score
I upgraded Aperture and iPhoto this week when I learned that iPhoto can open my Aperture library. But it does not show the folder structure I use to organize our projects and albums. All the projects open in the Events view, no longer organized. And all the albums I created in Aperture don't show when I open the library in iPhoto.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
I upgraded Aperture and iPhoto this week when I learned that iPhoto can open my Aperture library. But it does not show the folder structure I use to organize our projects and albums. All the projects open in the Events view, no longer organized. And all the albums I created in Aperture don't show when I open the library in iPhoto.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm surprised not to find anyone else experiencing this here or on other forums. Now that this update has been out a while, has anyone else seen this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Stupid question maybe but.. why would you want to use iPhoto if you have Aperture?

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Stupid question maybe but.. why would you want to use iPhoto if you have Aperture?

Doug

To share photos into a program my wife feels comfortable with, while allowing me to use Aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
To share photos into a program my wife feels comfortable with, while allowing me to use Aperture.

Give her a half hour tutorial and she'll be just as comfy with Aperture. After all, it has all of the basic components of iPhoto, with the added benefit of a more flexible file system and a more extensive editing palatte. It's pretty much just a big brother.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Give her a half hour tutorial and she'll be just as comfy with Aperture. After all, it has all of the basic components of iPhoto, with the added benefit of a more flexible file system and a more extensive editing palatte. It's pretty much just a big brother.

Doug

Okay . . . How about to keep her from messing up my Aperture Libraries. ;)

Actually, both of these reasons prevail at our house. My wife is an exceptional woman, but doesn't like change and can be technically challenged at the oddest times. To preserve both of our sanities and promote household peace she has iPhoto and I have Aperture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.