Dre Beats are just a name!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5
Not really sure where to post this but oh well

About 10 months ago I bought some black studio beats I had always wanted the and I don't care what anyone said they were the best and no headphones were better than them. After having them the hype of buying the has settled down and my freind have seen them and said that they are rubbish and had seen much better I always believed they said this because they didnt have them or could not afford them. But as I have used them the sound definition has become reality. I only use them for long car journeys or on the plane as the noise cancelling is pretty decent. But I suppose could be better. My parents always complain that they leake and say "headphones are for you to listen to music and not us" so to me new they are just headphones. I recently went to Alaska and wore them on the plane I usually find the round cups a bit awkward to fit your ears in. As the main frame of the headphones is a metal band and as I have a large heat this clamps down on my ears and leaves my ears feeling numb after a short period of time and I can tighten them so they clamp on the top of my head but that is worse.
So I am now against them antelope say yes finally you understand that they are just a name
So there is no point in keeping them when they bring me pain when I wear them.

I have been looking around and the most obvious pair that ever one tells me are the bose quiet comfort 2 and 15 but havent really looked at them but I am sure there are many others out there

I am looking for a pair that have good noise cancelling, come in a decent carry case and are comfortable to wear. I would also like them to be wireless so I can connect them to my iPhone but I can also plug in a cable for devices that don't support Bluetooth headphones I.e the planes entertainment system.

I know the more experienced techies have Bose or others and I am reaching that point in my tech life
So if anyone has Bose or absolutely any headphone I would love to hear you opinions and views on them or any reccomendations.

Any replies are welcome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Not to sound condescending or anything but.. you've got a LOT to learn! The Beats headphones are NOTHING but a marketing ploy by Monster™ cables to get young and inexperienced suckers (that's most of the U.S. population) to purchase their crap based on nothing more than having a rapper's name associated with them. For the love of all that is holy....

Bose. More overpriced crap, based on more marketing that employs fraudulent "scientific" research. They basically pay "scientists" to sign their name to a patent, which they get people to belive is based in fact. When in reality, it means nothing. In fact, Bose uses the cheapest available materials for their products, and they do nothing special to their drivers that would warrant their pricing structure.

You need to do more research. I'd suggest going to Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles and begin there. You want really good headphones that aren't too expensive? Try listening to Sennheisers *HD280's isolate well and aren't too expensive and sound great* Sony V6's, Ultimate Ears, Shure, Etymotic. There are SO many other brands that you could go to for better sound quality vs those crap Monster Beats or Bose. Heck, even Urban Ears headphones are better in terms of sound quality. You ever see those Marshall Headphones? They sound great and look pretty neat to boot.

Doug

OP
Mac Mad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for you r help I understand about the scientist endorse ment. I have a Bose system in my house and it pretty good I all ready have a dreamt pair of in ear and am after noise cancelling, wireless ones that can still be plugged in if Im using an old iPod

OP
Mac Mad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just seen the senheiser mm550-x
They look pretty decent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sennheiser and etymotic are my go to's, but I like a flatter response curve. Most (especially younger) listeners will want more pronounced bass. Which I loathe (funny since I have, and love, an impact sub in the house).

C

chas_m

I love bass in music, but I don't want my headphones ADDING bass that wasn't actually there. I'm not an audiophile per se but I've worked in radio and around musicians my whole life, I know what good sound sounds like. You will not get it from mass marketed trendy headphones at any price point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do yourself a favor never listen to upper end UE's or Shure's they will spoil you nothing will satisfy
you again especially if you listen to music in lossless with a lot of dynamics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
+1 Sennheiser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Dr Dre headphones are fine ;)

Fine if you listen to Hip Hop and rap and are used to listening to music through a phones inbuilt speaker.

By all accounts they artificially up the base and highs, but the midtones suffer, that's probably OK for urban music but most other genres suffer.

They're aimed at the Dr Dre crowd, but should come with a warning for rock, indie and classical music fans

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.