Music Major: Finale or Logic Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White
Hey Y'all! (First Post)

I'm just starting out as a Music Major and I am in a pickle!

I'm obviously in need of a Music Notation program like Finale, and I also need software that will have great recording and playback abilities. My major instrument is the French Horn, I also play some freelance Guitar which I might want to produce on the side.

Finale is 350$ for a student and Logic Pro is 199$, price is a big factor but I'm willingly to dish out for the right software!

Give me some feedback on a selection!!!

Thanks,

Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
It just so happens that I use both :)

Let's go into the details a bit.

Finale

Pros:

-Absolutely wonderful notation abilities that produce great looking sheet music with minimal effort. If you are willing to delve a little deeper, you can make some really complex sheet music.

-opens as a conductor's score but to create the individual parts, it takes 1 (yes that's right - 1) click from the file menu. Instrument parts are automatically formatted and made beautiful.

-comprehensive MIDI editing capabilities.

-just about all major instruments are represented in the setup wizard but if you need a staff for an obscure ethnic instrument (a Chinese Erhu for example), you can easily create a blank staff and format it yourself which takes only a minute.

-full support for AU and VST plugin sample libraries.

-ability to scan existing printed sheet music and import it into the application for playback and editing.

-ability to transcribe sheet music using real time performances with a MIDI controller (such as a MIDI piano).

Cons:

-more expensive

-no audio recording capabilities (only MIDI recording is accepted)

-unless you are willing to really tweak the MIDI data on each note (which can be time consuming), playback of your piece will sound very mechanical (like... well like a computer is playing it and not a human being).

-MIDI editing tools are not very streamlined. Be prepared to enter numeric values rather than seeing visual references.

Logic Pro

Pros

-Less expensive

-full featured DAW with full support for all major audio and MIDI interfaces

-comprehensive effects plugins such as reverb, compression, flangers, etc

-comes with a lot of loops and MIDI samples right out of the box

- it's sort of a "if you can imagine it, you can make it" program

Cons
-Logic can create sheet music too but it's a royal pain in the butt to create even halfway decent looking scores. All page formatting is on you to manually enter. Adding notes to the score is not nearly as easy as on Finale. Separating the parts is much more difficult.

-steep learning curve. Be prepared to go online for some educational courses.

------------------------

It boils down to this: Finale exists for one purpose: to make and print sheet music. Sure it does other things too (it can export your score as a MIDI file for example) but it's core function is the printing of music.

Logic exists as a DAW for audio recording. It does sheet music too but after getting used to Finale, Logic's score editor gave me a headache and took easily 5 to 10x longer to do. Even for simple scores.

Which matters more to you? I'm assuming that your school will have a recording studio and their computers also have Finale (or it's rival, Sibelius) so which would you rather be able to do at home as well?

Don't forget you can download a free trial of Finale 2012! I would take it for a spin if I were you.

Finale 2012 - The world standard for music notation software

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Also, check out Sibelius. great for the notation side of things. For best of both worlds, I'd say Logic Pro.

C

chas_m

You guys covered this better than I would have. I was going to say you're comparing pianos to drums so to speak, the two programs aren't competitors.

Reaction score
When I studied music, I used Logic and Sibelius. Both fantastic in their own rights but as previous posts mention, One is a recording software (logic (Also probs the best imo)) and the other is for creating sheet music (Sibelius). If I remember correctly you can import your scores from Sibelius into Logic but the formatting is a nightmare to sort out afterwards and you are left with an incredibly messy score. So just use both.... maybe not very useful advice but if you are intending to study music you will not regret it.

Good luck

The Rabbit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Logic Pro FTW!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.