OS X Websharing

D

DylanMcDonald

I'm trying to set up a web-site running from my PowerBook. I turned on Personal Web Sharing and the IP it shows to view the website on is my network IP. Is there something I can do so it is viewable on the World Wide Web?

I have tried forwarding port 80 to my network IP. But when I type in my external IP, it brings me to my Modem Configuration page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
You will have to setup port forwarding on your modem/router and send port 80 to go to your Powerbook's internal IP. That being said... Most ISPs have rules concerning hosting from your internet connection and you can even get lose your internet service over it. So make sure your ISP allows it in their service terms before setting it up.

Reaction score
What kind of modem is it? Do you have a stand alone router, or it it part of the modem?

OP
D

DylanMcDonald

mynameis said:
What kind of modem is it? Do you have a stand alone router, or it it part of the modem?

I have a Linksys Wireless Router and an Actiontec Modem. I'm thinking it might be my ISP though. :(

Reaction score
you sure it isn't your router settings you are getting when you try to access it with your WAN(External) IP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your router holds the external IP address the world sees. This is picked up by the router from your ISP. The router also has an internal IP address that allows you to maintain it. I think the default in your case is 192.168.1.1.

Your Mac needs to have a static internal IP address that doesn't conflict with the routers internal IP address, or any other internal IP address. Try 192.168.1.2.

Now forward port 80 on the router to 192.168.1.2

As long as web sharing is turn on, on the Mac, this set up should suffice. To test if web sharing is turned on, type http://127.0.0.1 into a web browser.

If your ISP is blocking port 80, then it gets trickier. The norm is to try port 8080. But you also have to change the Apache web server configuration file to agree with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.