need help deciding on a digital painting software?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm having some difficulties deciding on an art software to use. Currently, I own an adobe creative suite with photoshop and illustrator (as well as others, but they're not really relative here). For the past year or so I've been using photoshop for my digital art and it has served me very well, but recently I've gotten more and more into digital painting, where photoshop seems to fall short in some aspects. I downloaded paint tool SAI onto my brother's old pc and I absolutely adored it. It had much more of a "painterly", "natural" feel to it, if that makes any sense. Unfortunately my trial ran out and I'm a little stumped on what to do. I have a few options:

-stick with photoshop: (i also am curious if anyone has ever used illustrator for painting? i thought it was mainly for vectors so i've never touched it, but then again photoshop is mainly for photos and it works very well..?)

-purchase paint tool SAI : on my brother's pc (he doesn't mind if i use it, but it's a hassle to have to switch computers to work on my art, and all of my resources and other artwork is stored on my computer. i'd also probably end up saving all my pieces and bringing them over to my computer on a flash-drive, which seems silly.)

-purchase corel: and note for this that it will only end up costing me $100, since my dad would be purchasing from the academic superstore like he did with my creative suite (I'm sixteen). i am particularly attracted to corel's extensive brush collection and realistic painting effects. It seems to be exactly what I am looking for, although I here the interface is very complex and not at all beginner-friendly. I'm no beginner but I do really prefer clean simple layouts, so that was a bit of a bummer to hear.

-purchase another art program: I visited the apple store and the employee I spoke to reccomended sketchbook pro. It seemed like an excellent drawing tool but it didn't really strike me as anything special. The drawing seemed identical to photoshop and it lacked any of the painting effects that corel boasts. However, that was only my 5-minute judgement, so I may very well be completely wrong. Please let me know if that's the case!

In the end, money is not so much an issue (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob...I don't mean it that way! >n<' ) I have enough to pay for sai, corel, or sketchbook (and most likely any other similar programs), and ultimately I'll be the one paying the price tag (and I only spend money on things I'm really serious about haha). My question is which will be the most suited for me. I know I'm only 16 and obviously not a professional, but I'm very serious about art and plan on continuing to use the program long after high school.

Thanks for your time!! I apologize for any un-capitalized letters and grammatical errors, I'm not very good at writing long formal forum questions. Wow I sound like an idiot, sorry hahaha. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.