Macbook not remembering network connection?

Reaction score
I returned from vacation today to discover that each time I open up my laptop I have to select my internet network. It had never done this before besides when I first got my laptop, it had always just automatically connected. I checked my network preferences and "Remember networks this computer has joined" is checked. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Pic:
kajpnb.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I had a similar problem which came out of the blue with my macbook.

Go to:

System preferences
Network
Advanced

Is your wireless network that you normally connect to shown in the list of preferred networks?

If so, delete all other networks from the list so it's the only one showing then see if it joins automatically.

This worked for me and my macbook has had no problem joining my home network since.

OP
A
Reaction score
I go that but how do you delete the other networks? I've tried hitting the delete button and right clicking but nothing works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
highlight the network you don't want and press the - (minus) button below the list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook running Mac OS X v. 10.7.5
Same Issue

I am having the same issue as discussed above. I recently moved to a new house and set up a new wireless router. I can connect and use the internet fine, but my MacBook refuses to remember the wireless network. It will remember the password, but it won't automatically log me in to the network when my computer starts. I tried deleting all other wireless networks and I am still prompted to select my wireless network every time I login or return from sleep mode.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
You should also be able to click and hold the network name in the Preferred Networks pane in Network>Advanced>Wi-Fi and drag it to the top of the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am having the same issue as discussed above. I recently moved to a new house and set up a new wireless router. I can connect and use the internet fine, but my MacBook refuses to remember the wireless network. It will remember the password, but it won't automatically log me in to the network when my computer starts. I tried deleting all other wireless networks and I am still prompted to select my wireless network every time I login or return from sleep mode.

Any suggestions?

Hello stephm7052 and welcome to the forums. You might want to try dragging your preferred network to the top of the list and make sure that ' Remember networks this computer has joined' is checked also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The remember networks button is already checked and now this is the only network on my list, I deleted all other networks. I am still having the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, what I would do is uncheck it and turn wi-fi off (use the wireless icon on the menu bar if it's available, if not do it through System Prefs.)

Then I would re-check the box and turn wi-fi back on again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Server 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz
Try resetting your PRAM and/or SMC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried all of the above suggestions and still nothing seems to be working. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried all of the above suggestions and still nothing seems to be working. Any other ideas?

OK,

Make sure you've got the wi-fi preferences set to connect automatically and that your preferred network is top of the list.

Quit all your apps.
Go to Disk utility in Applications, highlight your hard drive and choose 'Repair Disk Permissions' Let it run it's course and then do a restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all the suggestions. I finally got the problem fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.