eMAC OS 9.2.2

A

aeromode

Reset PRAM to boot

Any idea why the only way I can get my MAC to boot up is to reset the PRAM?

I have a PowerMAC G4. It had OS X. The hard disk went south, so I had to replace it. Unfortunetly, the MAC is used and I did not have an install or restore disk. A friend of mine gave me a eAMC OS 9.2.2 install CD.

I ran the install without a problem, but now I get the disk with a "?" mark blinking at me. I found out that this could be a problem with PRAM and it could be set to factory default by using CONTROL-OPTION-P-R.

I did, it booted up. But when I rebooted, I get back to the blinking "?" mark.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x eMac 1ghz
Try formatting your disk with an osx installer disk utility and tick os 9.2 disk drivers.
If you cant do that, if you have another mac. start your emac in target disk mode, connect the other (osx) mac and format the emacs drive in the other macs disk utility.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Any idea why the only way I can get my MAC to boot up is to reset the PRAM?

I have a PowerMAC G4. . . I found out that this could be a problem with PRAM and it could be set to factory default by using CONTROL-OPTION-P-R.

I did, it booted up. But when I rebooted, I get back to the blinking "?" mark.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Try thaw keystrokes again. If the machine boots open system preferences. Look for the startup preferences. Open that preference. Hopefully you will see your boot disk. Click on it then close the preference, Now restart and see what happens.

BTW Which G4 do you have? If it is a desktop there may be a PRAM battery going bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.