PDA

View Full Version : Someone else using my wi fi?

klutchdust
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
First of all i have very limited computer experience. I have a desktop and wife has a laptop downstairs. I use AT&T for my internet, they call it a 2 wire. Whatever. I have an airport. Even if my wife is using her laptop the wireless light doesn't blink nor is it green. Mt internet has slowed to a crawl sometimes. How do i check/block others in the neighborhood from mooching? How do I know they are?
Please keep it basic, appreciate any help.

ycl1688
06-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Is there sign in to your modem from AT&T ? also stop file sharing here is the link
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3518966?start=0&tstart=0

vansmith
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Is your network password protected? You'll know if it is if you see a lock next to the name of your network when you click the WiFi icon in your menubar.

If it isn't, you should do so. Instructions for doing this can be found in the manual (full list here (http://support.apple.com/manuals/#airport)).

klutchdust
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Is your network password protected? You'll know if it is if you see a lock next to the name of your network when you click the WiFi icon in your menubar.

If it isn't, you should do so. Instructions for doing this can be found in the manual (full list here (http://support.apple.com/manuals/#airport)).

I don't think it always was protected, maybe by the time i finally did lock it the moocher was already there? If there is a moocher that is.

vansmith
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
If you think someone is using your connection, you should be able to get a log of those machines that have connected. I'd love to be more specific than that but I don't own an Airport Express/Extreme so I can't tell you how to look up DHCP logs (I'll leave this one open for those who do).

Now, a slower connection doesn't necessarily mean someone is using your connection. Does anyone using your connection do a lot of downloading? What kind of internet package do you have?

klutchdust
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I use AT&T which they claim is faster than a lear jet . Now the system was better than it is now so that is why i question it. My wife doesn't download, we use the computers for e mail and surfing. etc.

tmgarvey
06-08-2012, 11:59 PM
This may sound off the wall, but is it possible YOU are connected to someone else's unsecured wifi, instead of your own?

The first week I had my new MacBookPro, I could not figure out why I couldn't connect to my printer. It would be fine, and then I would restart the computer, and the printer would "disappear."

I finally realized that my computer was automatically connecting to someone else's network. Once I got my network prefs set properly, the problem was, obviously, gone.

If you haven't checked, you may want to confirm that you are, indeed, connected to your own network. (Oh, yes, and do set those network security settings with a good password.)

osxx
06-09-2012, 01:11 AM
First of all i have very limited computer experience. I have a desktop and wife has a laptop downstairs. I use AT&T for my internet, they call it a 2 wire. Whatever. I have an airport. Even if my wife is using her laptop the wireless light doesn't blink nor is it green. Mt internet has slowed to a crawl sometimes. How do i check/block others in the neighborhood from mooching? How do I know they are?
Please keep it basic, appreciate any help.

Try looking at your modem for all connected users it will show an ip for each device
192.168.1.254 should get you in then look under LAN.

MacInUse
06-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Hello!First you must check for connected users in your modem.If you see someone else is connected you may protect your wi-fi by network password.
I must say you something also, slow connection don't necessarily means someone else is connected with your wi-fi.Maybe you have many apps in your computer so it is slower.If you wan't some tips of how to easily make your computer faster send a message to me and may i can help you!