iPhone won't turn on or restore

Reaction score
i have a 3gs that won't turn on, no apple logo, no backlight...straight dead. i have tried all of the "button hold" combinations--nothing (however, Windows does beep on and off when I'm holding these buttons, so it does detect something). plug it into the computer and itunes does recognize it as a phone in recovery mode..however, restore will not work. any suggestions? currently, my error message is 3194. i have tried editing the host file as well, but to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Hold power and home button for few seconds (almost a minute). It will restart and apple logo should appear.

OP
G
Reaction score
Seriously...did you even read my post. I already mention that
I'd tried all combos of button holding. It's not happening

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Download an iPhone firmware (e.g. iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore.ipsw).
Be sure to have "Costum" in it. Normally it is like this (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore).

Do this:
-put your iPhone in DFU mode or recovery.
-open iTunes, It will detect that your phone is in DFU mode or recovery mode and needs to restore.
-hold "shift" then click restore. It will let you choose a firmware.
-find and click the firmware you just downloaded. Restoration will begin.
note: data will all be deleted. Hope you have back-up on your iTunes before your phone got problem.
-If everything goes well, restore back-up in iTunes (music, apps, vid. etc.).

OPTION 2.
Try other firmware version with out "costum" in it. Then follow the steps above.

-Lanz

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, i've tried that with sn0wball and a couple others but I get that error code that I mentioned.
So, are you saying I can take that ipsw file that I have and literally type "custom" into the file name there and that will change everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
exactly.... i had the same problem before. No way I can restore my phone due to error at the end. Googled a lot but this thing worked. I have that file in my mac now but it's 4.2.1 version. Just upgrade it after everything is working.

pls googled this file "iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Custom_Restore.ipsw"
I forgot where I downloaded this but it really worked for me. The file is about 300MB. Hope I can send it to you thru email but I think it's too big for attachment.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok good things! I think...
So the error I was getting has to do with downgrading iOS.
So I got the latest sn0wbreeze for 5.1.1 and typed
"custom" into the file. Now, it gets to the preparing to restore part,
Only I'm stuck here now at Error 1600. Tried disabling antivirus didn't work

OP
G
Reaction score
redsn0w says it can't enter DFU mode.
iReb and other programs will tell me i am in DFU mode.
The big problem is that my screen is always blank, so I can't see whats going on,
and I can't make sure the phone is off. When i hold the power and home buttons and
then just the home button during the DFU procedure, windows beeps on and off, as my
phone is disconnecting and reconnecting.

Reaction score
Nearly identical problem.

After reading your posts, I'm wondering if and how you finally resolved this issue. My situation is nearly identical. Any thoughts would help.

Reaction score
I just ran into this same issue last night.

iPhone4 somehow displayed the USB icon asking to connect to iTunes while it was plugged into my car charger (going home from work). Got home and I plugged it into my Mac (since it had said to connect to iTunes) and it kept cycling from apple logo to off and back to apple logo and back to off. So, I plugged it into AC and then it got past the apple logo. I typed in my password and then it went to the USB icon asking to plug into iTunes.

So, unplugged from AC and USB icon turned off. Went and plugged into my Mac and it started cycling again. Apple logo, off, apple logo, off. I plug back into AC and it gets past the apple logo again. Enter password and I'm back to USB icon/iTunes. Unplug and USB icon is off again. Plug back into Mac and power cycling starts again. I'm like ***!!

Apple tells me they cannot restore. They said I can pay for a replacement or I can use my "ATT upgrade" and get another phone. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.