Tether with out paying att and not Jailbreak???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Not with an ATT phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
They will automatically put you on a tethering plan if you get caught. its not worth it. Just pay to have it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Wow you people have it hard up there. Here down under on our phones we can open up Settings and start our own Personal HotSpot and i use this at times to use with my MBP now on the go. I presume thats the same as your tethering ?

20120527-1dd74p6yxcpyatw673utsnq589.jpg

They need to get with the rest of us ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It is, and to enable it on AT&T you have to have a tethering plan. Which, is really no big deal, unless you're like myself.. and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, only Verizon offers tethering or hotspot as part of their data plan at no extra cost. One reason why I chose Verizon when I bought a 3rd Gen iPad.

C

chas_m

I can't speak for all carriers in Canada, but Rogers (the one my wife is on) lets you tether without charge ... IF and only if you are paying for a 1GB/mo data plan or higher OR have bought one of their Rocketstick-specific plans (which amounts to the same thing).

The one I'm with (Fido) requires a data plan with them and will charge small increments extra if you go over, but that's their only rule, at least according to their website. There may be other restrictions I'm not aware of.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As far as I know, only Verizon offers tethering or hotspot as part of their data plan at no extra cost. One reason why I chose Verizon when I bought a 3rd Gen iPad.

On the iPad, yes - but not on the iPhone. Despite the fact that I pay $30/mo for a data plan, if I want to tether, I have to fork out another $20 or so - but then, I'm limited to a certain amount of data (my plan is normally unlimited). So, essentially, I get to pay for my data twice.

Honestly, this is just blatant extortion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
On the iPad, yes - but not on the iPhone. Despite the fact that I pay $30/mo for a data plan, if I want to tether, I have to fork out another $20 or so - but then, I'm limited to a certain amount of data (my plan is normally unlimited). So, essentially, I get to pay for my data twice.

Honestly, this is just blatant extortion.

I agree it is sort of robbery kinda like texting uses less bandwidth than an actual phone call but they all charge for it at least iMessage fixed that for iPhone users.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the iPad, yes - but not on the iPhone.

When I bought the 3rd generation iPad the salesperson at the Apple store specifically recommended Verizon 4G because of the free hotspot with their data plans. I had assumed it was the same for the iPhone. I wonder why they charge extra for one and not the other? You can certainly go through the same amount of data just as fast on an iPad as you can on an iPhone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I bought the 3rd generation iPad the salesperson at the Apple store specifically recommended Verizon 4G because of the free hotspot with their data plans. I had assumed it was the same for the iPhone. I wonder why they charge extra for one and not the other? You can certainly go through the same amount of data just as fast on an iPad as you can on an iPhone.

I suspect it has something to do with the iPhone being subsidized by the voice/data plans.

C

chas_m

I agree it is sort of robbery kinda like texting uses less bandwidth than an actual phone call but they all charge for it at least iMessage fixed that for iPhone users.

Actually, texting uses NO voice bandwidth -- no, seriously, it uses NONE AT ALL.

Why text messages are limited to 160 characters - latimes.com

So messaging "rides" on the "control link" in cellular signals, and thus costs the carriers NOT A PENNY (though I suppose you could argue that the cost is included in infrastructure). It's as close to pure profit as one can possibly get (until someone patents breathing --- shhh, don't give them any ideas!).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, texting uses NO voice bandwidth -- no, seriously, it uses NONE AT ALL.

Why text messages are limited to 160 characters - latimes.com

So messaging "rides" on the "control link" in cellular signals, and thus costs the carriers NOT A PENNY (though I suppose you could argue that the cost is included in infrastructure). It's as close to pure profit as one can possibly get (until someone patents breathing --- shhh, don't give them any ideas!).

God bless Apple for iMessage :)

Since I mostly text with other iPhone users, I've been able to eliminate my texting package and save a few bucks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
(until someone patents breathing --- shhh, don't give them any ideas!).

i understand Apple is working on iBreathe against that eventuality. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.