Scanning multiple photo's help

Reaction score
I have an Epson SX425 multi print/scanner
I need to scan a few hundred photo's and if possible wish to scan say 4 at once but then have them saved as individual items rather than one page with 4 photo's ( which I would have to crop out each one)

Using iPhoto and Macbook

Is it possible to do this with an Epson scanner? if yes- please How ???
Many thanks

C

chas_m

You can do this, but be aware that you will NOT get the absolute best result this way. The scanner will optimize and balance the scan based on all four pictures, which will not be as good as if you did one at a time.

Epson's scanner software will allow you to drag a selection box over the part of the scan preview you wish to commit to a file (and other stuff of course). So IOW you'll do the scanning using Epson's software (or a third-party alternative if you wish, even the built-in Image Capture if you like). You then repeat the process of selecting and saving for the other three parts of the preview scan.

Given the number of photos you say you have, this will probably be a VERY time-consuming process. I strongly recommend you scan at the HIGHEST optical resolution your scanner is capable of (note the word "optical" there), and save your scanned originals to a lossless file like TIFF and burn the TIFFs to a DVD or CD.

With the copies of the TIFFs still on your drive, you can fix them up in the editing program of your choice and save the modified files (once you are happy with them) as JPGs for dramatically lower file size and a minimum of lossiness. Then you can "throw the TIFF away," since you have an uncorrected "original" TIFF on that backup DVD/CD you made. This will save you ever having to re-scan the material.

As I say, VERY time consuming. It might be worth your while to consider having the material professionally scanned, which often can be done for as little as $1 per picture (and they will do a better job optimizing the photo, cleaning dust and scratches etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.