Drobo Sharing over network

Reaction score
Hello all,

This may be a real elementary question but here goes:

I recently purchased an iMac after having a MBP for the past couple of years.

I use a Drobo to back up my MBP & was wondering how I can use the Drobo to back up both of my computers now.

I found this documentation http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/airport_app_note_g1pr.pdf on how to do it.

Now here's the question, I know Mac uses Airport utility but I have a Verizon router that connects all of my printers, computers etc. Is that the same thing or not?

Can I follow those instructions to set it up with my network router? I'm really confused & really not technically inclined so.... sorry if this comes across stupid.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Can it really be that nobody has the answer to this? Am I asking something totally ridiculous???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm sorry, just a bit unsure about what difficulty you're facing.....

Those instructions are for configuring an Airport Extreme and drobo. As you don't have an Airport extreme you can forget those.

Firstly, if you backup MBP to the drobo already, what's different with the iMac? Can't you do it in the same way?

Perhaps if you can describe you current setup with MBP - drobo - router and what software our using to backup.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Well, regarding the airport extreme - if that's the only way that I can backup both comps to my drobo then I'll have to get it.

Regarding what's different with the iMac? Well, can it be done the same way? basically my understanding is that once I install the Drobo on my iMac it will reformat my drives - which means I lose all the data currently on there.... (unless I'm not understanding correctly.)

Currently I just plug my drobo into my MBP & it backs up my entire computer. My drobo doesn't touch my router,

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I would like to back up both computers to my drobo & if possible keep the info partitioned. I know you can create partitions in Drobo - but I've never done it, not quite sure how I would do it, & don't want to lose any info in the process of doing this.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Well, regarding the airport extreme - if that's the only way that I can backup both comps to my drobo then I'll have to get it.
No need to to get an extreme.

Regarding what's different with the iMac? Well, can it be done the same way? basically my understanding is that once I install the Drobo on my iMac it will reformat my drives - which means I lose all the data currently on there.... (unless I'm not understanding correctly.)
Yes it can be done the same way I.e. connecting it directly to the iMac.
You don't need to 'install' your Drobo on and machine. I assume you're referring to the initial setup of the Drobo. This doesn't need doing again.
Currently I just plug my drobo into my MBP & it backs up my entire computer. My drobo doesn't touch my router,
You don't say what software you're using for the backup.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I would like to back up both computers to my drobo & if possible keep the info partitioned. I know you can create partitions in Drobo - but I've never done it, not quite sure how I would do it, & don't want to lose any info in the process of doing this.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Let's leave the partition issue aside for now.

The Drobo is a very capable network drive (in fact that's it's primary function). While you can connect it to your MBP and iMac separately and do a backup I'd recommend connecting it to your router and then use time machine on each mac to backup across the network.

Depending on your Drobo model it may natively support time machine. If not the is a workaround. Can't advise without knowing which Drobo you have

OP
Y
Reaction score
not sure what you mean by what software I'm using.

I simply plug my Drobo into my MBP & allow time machine to back it up. Is that what you're referring to?

Now as far as specs:
Drobo - Model # DRO4D-D
Router - Verizon Wireless

Any other info necessary?

Thanks for all your help

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I did an Internet search for info on your Drobo (I don't use one) and read the linked instructions you provided.

Honestly, I think you would be better off buying an external HD, plugging it into the iMac and backing up to it with Time Machine.

EDIT: This is what I use. It's quick, cheap and easy.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056YNA7U/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The drobo is an external hard drive. Just a smart multi-drive one.

I can't find your exact model. So I can't tell if it's the network ready model.
If it has an Ethernet connection on the back you can connect it direct to your router and backup both machines over the network using time machine. If it doesn't have Ethernet you'll need to connect it to your iMac in the same way you do with your MBP. No need to run the drobo software on the iMac. Just connect it and configure time machine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I could tell his model doesn't have Ethernet. And, yes, I know it is an external HD. But, if all the OP is using it for is a backup, not much point to a multidrive RAID.

A cheap external HD will take care of his iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree entirely. But there seems little point getting another drive when they already have the drobo.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree entirely. But there seems little point getting another drive when they already have the drobo.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask an opinion about that . . . ;)

I have between six and eight externals that I use for point backup etc (have lost count at the moment). Always keep at least two in the safe deposit box at the bank.

Admittedly, I bought most of them when prices were lower, but I still consider them a cheap investment in peace of mind.

My rationale for having extra drives (for me and the OP) is a drive that you have to go looking for and then lug over and connect for backup won't be used.

The best soloution would be to Network the Drobo, failing that, having a small external at hand or already connected is next best.
Just my opinion and I will leave it at that. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's like an addition isn't it. I have 6. Perhaps a meeting of HDD Anon is called for :)

I agree though. An easily accessible backup device will more likely be used.

Reaction score
DROBO vs External Drive

I know this isn an old thread but this needs to be answered. A Drobo is basically a sophisticated array of drives. The advantage of the drobo over a regular external drive is reduced data access exapnadability and my favorate is drive redundancy to prevent data loss should one or more drives fail. Corperate servers do not run on single drives, they use arrays for these reasons.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this isn an old thread but this needs to be answered. A Drobo is basically a sophisticated array of drives. The advantage of the drobo over a regular external drive is reduced data access exapnadability and my favorate is drive redundancy to prevent data loss should one or more drives fail. Corperate servers do not run on single drives, they use arrays for these reasons.

Corporate servers also have people who know how to set them up and maintain them. A Drobo (IMO) is overkill for most home use.

FWIW in addition to my portable external drives I also have a DLink DNS-323 NAS in RAID and a couple of TimeCapsules, plus the external drives attached to my server.

Bottomline: If you realy need a Drobo you probably know (or can figure out) how to set it up and use it. If not, you are probably far better served by a couple of cheap external hard drives. Redundancy by having and rotating 2 drives is all the redundancy most people need, and safer in the long run if you keep your swap-out drive in another location. Because, RAID won't save your data from fire or theft of property.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
Hello all,

This may be a real elementary question but here goes:

I recently purchased an iMac after having a MBP for the past couple of years.

I use a Drobo to back up my MBP & was wondering how I can use the Drobo to back up both of my computers now.

I found this documentation http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/airport_app_note_g1pr.pdf on how to do it.

Now here's the question, I know Mac uses Airport utility but I have a Verizon router that connects all of my printers, computers etc. Is that the same thing or not?

Can I follow those instructions to set it up with my network router? I'm really confused & really not technically inclined so.... sorry if this comes across stupid.
All you do is point your time machine to where your Drobo is for your backups it is that simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.