iPhone 4s Jittery Behavior

Reaction score
I scoured the internet for an answer to my problem but found nothing. I appear to be having a very unique problem.

1. the problem occurs periodically, with no warning and no provocation. the problem does not seem to be caused by an app, battery life, exposure to elements, gyro tilt, or time of day.

2. the problem is frequently accompanied with a second, albeit more singular and situational problem.

Problem 1.
Randomly, the phone's screen will enter a state where it endures epileptic seizures when touched. Most often apparent when pressed and held. Happens across the entire system, regardless of app and even on the home screen. Seizures are jittery, shaking in all directions. The shaking sometimes causes misleading input, i.e. an app will suddenly close to the home screen even though I didn't hit the home button. Note: there is no physical vibration, the shaking is only on screen.

Problem 2.
Only happens when listening to music and the seizures take hold of the phone. Music will sometimes skip ahead in the same track or pause then play really quickly to catch up. During this ordeal, Siri will often randomly activate and shut down instantly or tell me she's unavailable. This happens also when I'm running with Nike +GPS active with the phone on my arm and music playing through the Nike app. I don't believe sweat is causing it, as the arm band is quite moisture resistant.

Both problems seem to go away of their own accord. I've tried soft resets with no result; the shaking will continue as phone returns from reset.

I am not opposed to addressing the problem directly with Apple at a store, but I live in NYC and it's just a pain in the *** to get to the store during business hours. Thought I'd try here first.

Please reply to [email protected]

Any thoughts to rid my phone of its pre-mortem rigor-mortis?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Did you try a 'hard reset' by way of pressing and holding the home button for 6 seconds or so whilst simultaneously pressing and holding the sleep/wake button on the top?

Let the phone cycle through it's reset and then see what happens. You won't lose any settings or data doing it.

If that doesn't work you can perform a 'restore'. Do a sync/back up first.

There is some more information here..Apple - Support - iPhone - iPhone Troubleshooting Assistant

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.