PDA

View Full Version : What's running in the background

timeferret
05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Can someone tell me how I can find out what is running in the background when I boot up.
For about 5-10 minutes I can faintly hear something running in the background. When this is happening I find running programs or logging onto various websites can take a long time. I tend to be watching more of the spinning disc than anything else..
If Time Machine is updating any work I am doing tends to hang and the spinning disc appears. I have disabled Time Machine and Kaspersky Anti Virus to see if this makes any difference, which it doesn't.
When I first had my mac, I was able to go straight from booting up to what ever I need to do, without any problems.
I have done a new reinstall, but the problem still exists.
Thanks

harryb2448
05-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Go into Activity Monitor in Utilities and see what is running.

Also anything checked in System Preferences > System > users & Groups > Login Items?

Shikarnov
05-19-2012, 06:04 PM
There's a program called "Activity Monitor" on every Mac. You can find it using Spotlight, or it'll be in the Applications \ Utilities .

Good luck finding out what the culprit is. And keep us apprised.

Z

ETA: Dang, beaten by a minute :)

timeferret
05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks folks. Not sure what to look for but in Disk Activity Rapportd is showing 1.1% CPU. Would AVG Link Scanner be a problem?

chas_m
05-20-2012, 12:41 AM
So let me get this straight: you have at least TWO "anti-virus" programs running on a Mac (that doesn't have viruses) and you're wondering why it's not performing the way it should? Seriously?

Solution: disable the anti-viruses, and turn Time Machine back on. The Anti-Viruses were a waste of money, but without backups you're really asking for trouble.

timeferret
05-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks Chas_m. I didn't realise that AVG link Scanner was another Anti Virus program. I thought it just checked out for dodgy websites. OK, Time Machine is back on and both AV programs disabled......let see what happens.

harryb2448
05-20-2012, 05:46 PM
And as a suggestion more than disable .. uninstall.

If you must use antivirus software despite there being no Mac OS X viruses, download and use ClamXAV which is freeware.

Should you run Windows on your Mac use Microsoft Security Essentails, also freeware.