Home network problem.

B

buckeyedoc444

Trying to get into my son's iMac from my PowerMac. He can see my computer and get in but when I try to connect to his I get the following message:

"Connection failed. Unknown user, incorrect password or login disabled." Retype or contact the administrator.

What does this mean. The name is right as is the password. I don't know what "login is disabled" means. When I search Apple support for login disabled brings up a bunch of stuff about Mac adminstrator and Apple script stuff. I can login to his computer using the same name and password.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
does the account that you are trying to log in with exist on his mac? the credentials you supply when accessing any shares must be those of the mac providing the share.

is sharing turned on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
another vote for checking that sharing is turned on

Reaction score
This depends, f=how are you connecting, via firewire, ethernet, airport?

OP
B

buckeyedoc444

osvoldk said:
This depends, f=how are you connecting, via firewire, ethernet, airport?
Sharing is on and I have an account on the iMac. My Power Mac is connected via ethernet but his connects wirelessly via the Airport. Like I said his iMac can access mine but not vice versa.

I have had intermittent problems with our router but it seems to be working fine at the same time as trying to access the imac. I did buy a new Belkin router but I'm hesitant to hook it up if it means going through the whole networking process again.

It isn't as important for me to get things off his but I plan to buy a new ibook for my wife for Christmas and I want her to be able to access my computer so that she can print of my printer. I assume that if she can communicate with mine she can print things using the printer that is connected to my Power mac via a usb port. Is that correct?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.