Can I download files direct to a USB?

Reaction score
I am on an extended stay away from my computer and need to download some personal and financial files from my hosts computer. Can I download them direct to a usb stick and will anything be left on their computer? If so how can I erase all evidence of my downloaded files? They have an IMAC Also do I have to format the USB for the mac? If so how is that accomplished? Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can change the download location where you wish the files to go. It depends on which browser you're using. For Safari: Preferences: General, "Save Downloaded Files To". Enter the name of the USB Flash drive. Don't forget to reset that option after you're finished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
To transfer files from your host's computer to the USB, just drag and drop them onto the USB stick. You can then delete them from the computer.

how can I erase all evidence of my downloaded files?
Only by reformatting the computer's hard drive. All files on a computer are shown in a list. When you delete a file, all you are doing is deleting it from the list. The file is still on the computer until it gets overwritten by another file, but no longer shows in the list, .

Your friend, if he really, really wanted to, could get some File Recovery software and access your files. However, simply deleting them is usually sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Correction to my last. You can choose the "Secure Delete" option to completely delete your files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can also wipe free space after deleting the files which were downloaded. However, just direct the download to the flash drive as I suggested above and then wiping will not be necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.