hm..... apple pda...

B

bpublisher

I was wondering if anyone ever thought of something like an apple pda. Is apple working in one? If they are, there would be a lot of people looking to buy them. PDA's are incredible, and dell, toshiba, HP, and many other companies are producing them, with windows ce operating system. Maybe apple should make an os for these PDA's, or create their own PDA with the apple os. That would be such a good change from these other PDA's, because after all they are windoze. Anyway, whatcha think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Apple was pretty much the first out of the gate with a PDA, the original Apple Newton. It was pretty much a flop and a money loser even though there were (as always) a group of rabid fans that loved the things. You still see them for sell on eBay.

Anyways, when Apple has a flop like that they usually don't venture back in to the market, so I'd think another Apple PDA is doubtful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Unless Apple can really come up with something innovative to spark a PDA buying revolution they should just stay out.

The PDA market is not large and usually a money loser. Heck even Palm is about to go belly up. None of the Windows-based PDA makers are selling a ton either.

PDAs are a very niche market right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I would reather apple make a PDA/Cell phone! that would be cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Search the iNote on google. It was an April Fools prank, but it looked pretty sick to me...

OP
S

sandals1621

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if Apple came out with one. I've gone throguh 3 windows PDA's and 2 palms.... the palms were stable, but not very upgradable as new apps came out.... my Windows ones always crashed.

OP
B

bpublisher

ok, I agree with sandals, because I would buy one. Ive gone through a few palms, and I dont like their functionality. Im sure if apple tried, they could spark a PDA revolution. Most people arent interested in PDA's because they arent marketed enough. If apple marketed it, people might begin to buy it. Also, maybe this time they should make the os for the PDA available to PDA makers.

Reaction score
There are enough options right now, but the market for them just isn't there. I know some people who previously weren't interested might buy one if Apple released one, but that wouldn't be enough to cover the R&D.

OP
D

dantheman

Bought a Powerbook G4 a few months back - and I already own an Hp1910 PDA - does anyone know if I can get my mac and PDA to sync contacts, calander etc with each other?

Cheers - any help appreciated.

Reaction score
I doubt apple will have anything similar to the newton again or a pure apple PDA
instead they may make the iPod to have more PDA funtions on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I think the PDA market has peaked. They really never were that big (at their acme it may have been 5/10 people in a buisness meeting, if that), and these days the market is pretty much dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i got my newton in my room rotting away...what a bad idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this is a complete stretch, but if apple were to go towards some sort of PDA they should go more towards a blackberry. i think that could possibly work.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what was so bad about it? its about the size of a good thick paperback book, had horrible battery life, and was slower than molasses....

OP
B

bpublisher

oh I see I think that apple should revolutionize their ipods and make a 40 gig ipod/pda, make it really nice with downloadable games/widget apps or mini apps and sell it for 4-500 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Apple should not release it's own PDA (again), unless it uses PalmOS.

OP
H

handnblndr

Apple was actualy the first to come out with a pda.
Here is some info from www.apple-history.com

Announced in August 1993, the Newton Message Pad was Apple's first completely new product in many years. Indeed, it represented Apple's entry into (and perhaps creation of) an entirely new market: Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs). The PDA market was barely present when the Newton was released, but other companies were working on similar devices.

The Newton Message Pad featured a variety of personal-organization applications, such as an address book, a calendar, notes, along with communications capabilities such as faxing and email. It featured a pen-based interface which used a word-based, trainable handwriting recognition engine. Unfortunately, this engine had been developed by a third party developer, and was notoriously difficult to use. While later Newton models would show improved hand-writing recognition, the Newton's reputation for poor recognition would haunt it for years to come.

The Newton ran on a 20 MHz ARM 610 processor, and used AAA batteries. It sold for $699 and was replaced in March 1994 by the Newton Message Pad 100. In October 1993, the NMP received a ROM upgrade, which patched the OS to version 1.10, which included a number of much-need bug fixes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.